Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rhubarb Coffee Cake

Years ago, my friend Debbie introduced me to rhubarb by means of a strawberry-rhubarb pie.  It was love at first bite.  Yum!  Since then, I have made quite a few strawberry-rhubarb pies, but it is sometimes difficult to grab rhubarb at the grocery store for the small window of time it is there each spring.

Two summers ago was my first time at Brian's home in NY.  Much to my surprise, his mother actually grows rhubarb in her backyard.  I left that visit with an armful of rhubarb, and when I returned to my home in NJ, I had so much that I had to figure out what else to do with it.  I ended up making rhubarb coffee cake in addition to my much-loved pie.

Brian, however, strongly dislikes rhubarb.  Just a couple of weekends ago, while visiting his parents', Brian's mom again allowed me to walk away with plenty of rhubarb.  Since he dislikes it, and I can't very well eat a whole strawberry-rhubarb pie by myself, I turned again to the rhubarb coffee cake.  I got a little bit sneaky, and decided to cut up the pieces of rhubarb really small, and I figured that the taste would not be noticeable if I did so.  I was right.


When Brian came home from work, I told him that I made coffee cake, and I didn't mention the dreaded ingredient.  He tasted it, thought it was delicious, and that was the end of it.  I told him just before writing this post that it did, in fact, have rhubarb in it.  He was only momentarily shocked to find he had eaten his sworn enemy, but I think I maybe proved that rhubarb can be good, even for him.

If only he would like to eat strawberry-rhubarb pie!  Perhaps I will make one anyway.  More for me!