Thursday, August 9, 2012

Moving In

The above cake was made by Brian's sister in celebration of our new home!  She came down with her husband and kids, and so did Brian's parents, all the way from upstate NY to help us move this past weekend.  One of Brian's best friends also joined us, and a friend from our church brought a trailer which enabled us to move our furniture without renting a truck.  Three cheers for saving money!

Things are rather messy right now, so I'll skip any photos, but we are loving our new home.  It is a castle in comparison to the apartment we left behind.  Some of my favorite things are my new kitchen, which has an island, and our deck.  After being in that stuffy apartment, it is wonderful to have our own area OUTSIDE.  I haven't lived in a house (a full house, not a part we were renting) since I was nineteen, and I almost forgot what it feels like.  Just the upstairs alone of our new house is bigger than our old apartment, and there's another floor!

We are mostly staying upstairs right now because our boxes are sort of all over the place downstairs, but I keep thinking when we do get set up down there, this place will feel even bigger!

We still need to move some items from NJ- some of my old furniture as well as furniture being given to us.  We will have to rent a truck for that, but once that is done, we'll finally be settled.  If you're keeping track, I was just moving one year ago to PA as I was preparing for our wedding, so I am looking to not go anywhere for a long while.  I want to unpack and not see another brown box for a long time!

As I said to Brian's mom when I unpacked my teapot, "It's home when the teapot is on the stove ." We're so grateful for this house, yet we are ever mindful that this home is only temporary.  We never want to get so settled in this life that we forget that each day we are striving for our heavenly home. May we be ever mindful of that!