Friday, December 7, 2012

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like... Christmas, Of Course

One of the delights of having a house this year is decorating it for Christmas.  Last year in our tiny apartment, we had a few sparse decorations, and who could forget this tree?  (Yes, it was sitting on top of our t.v.)


I am happy to say that that tree is lying sideways on a shelf in the garage this year... one of the many items we still need to get rid of.

Come, let's see what we've got going on in our house this year!


Forgive the angled shot.  It was much too cold to go out on the steps in my slippers.  Brian surprised me last week with this fresh wreath.  I hadn't even expected a wreath this year, so we had to actually go out and buy a wreath hanger.


This is on the inside of our door.  We bought it on clearance at a charming Amish wooden treasure store two blocks from our old apartment.  Sadly, the man who owned the place (a grandfather of Brian's student) sold it, and it is now unfortunately a tobacco shop.  That was the last decent thing in our old neighborhood.  I guess when it went, it was time for us to go.


Joy of joys, all my life I have wanted a fireplace, and here it is!  This is a gas fireplace, and before Hurricane Sandy hit, we didn't have it up and running.  Yes, my NJ friends, we lost power up this way, too, and as we were sitting in 47 degree temperatures for four days in our house, we said "Never Again!"  After our power was restored, we made phone calls to get our fireplace working the following week.  We had to put some money out because the piping was illegally constructed, but now we are loving every moment of it.  We keep the electric heat off entirely upstairs because this baby does the job all on its own.  I enjoyed decorating the mantle with my nativity, a red and green vase, candles, and some branches from our Christmas tree.  (I was worried about putting the stockings in front, so I found another place for them.)


Our first Christmas tree (other than the teeny tree from last year).  This one is real!  We debated whether to get real or artificial, but since both of us grew up with a real tree, that easily won the contest.  Being the cheapskates that we are, we wanted to spend as little as possible.  (After all, you only use the thing for a few weeks and then it gets tossed.)  One place downtown was advertising $20 trees.  When we went, we discovered that those trees were priced that way for a reason... yikes, they were short!  As we were looking around, we were having a hard time finding anything that was under $35, until we spotted this guy.  For $28, we feel like we got a good deal. We didn't examine it to look for perfection; we simply looked at the freshness, decided we liked it, and away with us it went!  And boy, does it smell wonderful!

It's funny, because I have so many ornaments I've been gifted over the years, that we didn't even need to buy  ANY.  A few were clearance items I had purchased for myself at one time or another, but the majority were gifts, and it is embarrassing how many of them have the name "Courtney" on them.


This shelf was also purchased at the Amish wooden store last year.  It is nice to make this Christmas-y, too.


I put our stockings on our banister right outside our bedroom.  We will make room for one more next year :)  I purchased these stockings last year knowing they would be temporary.  I have always planned to have "Mom" and "Dad" stockings for when our little one arrives.  Looks like I'll be purchasing three new stockings next year!


Last but not least, this cute little snowman sits on top of the stereo.  I bought him at the Christmas Tree Shops last year when I was home for my dad's surgery in October.  I love this little guy.  It would not be Christmas without him.

That's about it!  We do have mistletoe, but I need Brian to hang that tomorrow.  I try to limit how much I stand on a chair these days.

It is wonderful to be enjoying our first Christmas in our new home!  Next year, we look forward to our little one joining us and making us a three-some!