Friday, March 14, 2014

Caleb: Ten Months

Dear Caleb,

Every parent wonders where the time goes, and I am no exception.  You are growing so fast.  In just the past two weeks, you've begun crawling, kneeling, and clapping.  The latest development, which I love, is that you now crawl over to my lap and try to climb aboard.  I can't get enough of that!

It's not easy being a mother of a baby.  Taking you out, carrying you out the door with one arm, locking the door with the other, all while trying not to trip down the stairs or slip on ice, is a challenge.  Putting you in your car seat with your winter gear is also a project.  But you know what? I wouldn't trade it.  All too soon, time will fly, and my little baby boy won't need me quite so much anymore.

I take plenty of pictures of you with my camera, but I try to do more than just that.  There are moments I just watch you and marvel, and I try to record in my mind's eye what cameras cannot capture:  the sweet softness of your skin, your contagious laugh, how it feels to wrap you in a towel after your bath and snuggle you close- to name a few.

You are a mama's boy, through and through.  You definitely don't care for other people besides me and Daddy at this point, and you don't always like new situations.  We've been cooped up during a long and cold winter, and I need to get you out as the weather warms up.  I want you to start seeing there is more to the world than just our house, the grocery store, and church!  The last two doctor's appointments that I had, though so close to home, were a meltdown for you!  You simply don't like it when mama has to put you down so I can get checked out; it is the end of the world as you know it.

You are still such a big boy for your age!  Your length is in the 99th percentile!  I still maintain that I'll never understand why God gave this wimpy mama such a big baby!  You are still a good eater, though I am only slowly giving you new things.  You've choked once or twice, and I almost suffered a heart attack, so I figure there is no rush.  Sleeping is a see-saw, but at present, you are doing reasonably well overnight, but your naps, I fear, will never be very good.

Just last week, you started getting two new teeth, and I believe two more are soon on the way!  This adds to all the recent new developments, and my goodness, I can hardly keep up!

I spend my days following you as you crawl all over the floor- you are still too clumsy to be left to your own devices.  I cannot, cannot get over how quickly the time goes.  It seems like just yesterday all you did was sit in your blue bouncy chair, and now, you are all over the place.  My heart breaks a little as you change so fast.  Once a new stage comes and settles in, it is soon replaced for another.  While I absolutely love watching you grow, this mother's heart cannot help but mourn the days that will never again return.

That said, my dear boy, I do try so much to enjoy you each day.  I can't stop time, but I can enjoy the time God gives me with you, today.

I love you so much, my Caleb-Bear!

Love,
Your mama