Monday, April 14, 2014

Caleb: Eleven Months

Dear Caleb,

One year ago, we were getting ready for you.  Your due date was three weeks away (though you wouldn't arrive for another four), and we were full of anticipation, jitters, excitement, and fears.  There is a part of me that misses it- that feeling that we were about to meet our child and our lives would change forever.  This time last year, we were installing the car seat, getting your room ready, and organizing all of your baby things.  Now, we have an almost-toddler on our hands!

Your daddy and I can scarcely believe how much you've grown!  You have become a very fast crawler; I can have a hard time keeping up when I try to chase after you on all fours myself!  Of course, you do have an advantage because you can crawl around the smaller spaces much more easily!

You stood for the first time on April Fool's Day, and you are becoming quite adept at it- sometimes standing with only one hand holding onto something, and other times taking a step or two to change direction.  I have tried holding your hands to see if you'll take a step, but you are not quite ready for that yet.  I'm in no hurry, though.  It will all happen in due time!

Seven teeth are now peeking out when you smile!  You are getting better at mashing different foods, but I've been slow to push you too quickly.  After you choked once or twice, I was in no hurry to witness such things again.  Perhaps I've been a little too cautious, but what can I say... you are my first!  You are still nursing, which I'm so happy about, since I had planned on nursing for at least one year.  At this point, you seem to be in no rush to wean, so we'll take that as it comes.  You still can't self-feed... I give you a cereal puff, and while you can get it between your fingers, you simply stare at it, almost as if you know where it goes, but you don't know how to get it there!

You absolutely love your daddy, and your daddy loves having a little boy!  I often smile to myself when Daddy tries to "rough house" with you, as much as it can be done at your age.  I see the little boy in him when he plays with you, and I can't help but love both of my men.

Without a doubt, you thrive on what is familiar, and you absolutely do not like strangers, which is rather unfortunate seeing as we do not live near family.  I fear there may be many meltdowns in your future!  When we are out in public, no matter where, you are comfortable in my arms, or in Daddy's arms, but if we should put you down, forget it!  And when the nurse had to hold you for a moment at the doctor's office... yikes!  There was no calming you down!

My darling Caleb-Bear, you will learn.  The world is yours to explore, and we will be right there beside you.

One month from today, we'll be celebrating your first birthday!  My goodness, it goes so fast. Wasn't it just yesterday that we brought you home?

I love you, my sweet son!  I can hardly remember life without you in it!

Love,
Your mama