Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Another New Family Member

Before I get to the real topic of this post, I spoke too soon yesterday.  I said that Silas was doing fairly well in the bassinet... I think he heard me, because he decided that he wasn't having it again. I got him to nap there this morning, but since then, no go.  I do believe in cry-it-out, but I won't overdo it, yet.  Plus, at five naps a day, crying it out for twenty minutes or more each time is TOO much for this mama's heart.  Bit by bit, little by little, we'll get there.

I wanted to share my sister's news.  She's expecting her fifth child.

This was completely unexpected.  She gave away all her baby things after having four children. She and her husband believed they were done.  In fact, they only ever tried to have three children. Of course, the twins were a surprise, so there were four.  This was an "oops!" pregnancy, and it has taken her time to adjust and sort of embrace the idea once again.

So, back to her go the three big bags of maternity clothes she gave me!  I have been packing things up, getting ready to send them back to her, since my parents are visiting this weekend and can handle the exchange.

I told her not to give them away, because Brian and I are not yet certain we are done.  Not certain, folks.  Not trying, not preventing.  In any case, it's neither here nor there only two months postpartum.

The beauty of it is that we were pregnant at the same time, for a brief time.  Yet, she didn't tell me until the morning after Silas was born.  I scolded her for not telling me sooner, but she didn't want to rain on my parade, so to speak.  I told her I'm not so self-absorbed that I can't share her news!  I was shocked, stunned, and I had thought that sleep-deprivation from giving birth the night before caused me to hallucinate the news.  But it is true.

She's due in March, and this will be the closest age gap between one of my children and any cousin.  Silas and her little one will be only seven months apart.

I feel bad, though, that I have always reaped the benefits of having a sister go before me and pass on so many baby things, and since I am still in baby mode, there isn't much I can give her.  Many of the things I have we are the first owners of, such as car seats, but many of the big items that are hard to transfer were originally hers.  Bassinet, toddler bed, etc.  I feel bad that they have to start out once again, but I know God is already blessing them with a few used freebies.

For my parents, this is their eighth grandchild!  Christmas is getting expensive in our family...

I just wish we lived closer so we could share our lives more and more.  There is only so much you can do over the phone.

I look forward to being an aunt once again!

Side note:  Brian has always been saying to me that he didn't think they were finished.  I told him he was crazy.  Looks like he was right!