Friday, August 20, 2021

Happy Anniversary: Ten Years

One decade down!  How many more to go?  Brian is hoping for at least four!  Let's see how long we live, or if Jesus comes first!


While shopping for Brian's gift on Etsy, I came across this hysterical Trump card.  I couldn't resist getting it as a gag gift!

Our traditional gift theme this year was tin, so I found this adorable tin cup for Brian which has a double meaning with "Happy Campers".  Together, we are happy campers in marriage, but Brian also has dreams of renting an RV in the summers and traveling across states as a family.  So this cup represents what we are, and what we will be.  Brian loved it!

For me, Brian bought a tin heart for keeping jewelry.

Marriage isn't a fairy tale.  It is hard work!  It takes much letting go of our own wants and desires and putting our spouse first.  Sometimes, we buck against the very idea!  When I had foot surgery in February, it was a hard time on us all.  I was completely down and out.  Brian had to step up and take care of the kids and do all my normal chores besides.  He even had to take care of me!  I couldn't even get into the shower without his help.  I joked with him then, if only our vows had included, "Brian, do you take Courtney, in foot surgery, and out of foot surgery?"  I felt so embarrassed to be reduced to a lump on the couch, and while I was grateful I could still take care of Anna to some degree (change diapers/clothing and nurse), and I could chop veggies and mix things if Brian brought them to me, it was so far from my usual workhorse self.  And yet, perhaps it wasn't a time wasted at all.  God taught Brian how to step it up, and He taught me how to appreciate my home in a far different way, even when things were quite out of control.  And while I was embarrassed to be reduced to what I was, for a time, I know I was SAFE with Brian.  He would love the weak Courtney, just as much as the strong.  For that, I am grateful.

Brian didn't picture those weeks of me being disabled, I am sure, when he was waiting for his bride to come gliding down the aisle.  And yet, his love and commitment to me kept him by my side, taking care of us all, even when it was far out of his comfort zone.

We are grateful that we have made it ten years.  God has brought us three beautiful children, which was one more than we thought we'd have!  Sure, we are bursting out of this house, but we are here, together.  


Please excuse my dorky selfie.  Really, in general I'm not much for selfies, unless one of the kids is in there with me.  Every year, I put on my wedding bracelet, earrings, and headband that I wore as a bride on my anniversary.  It is my way to connect with that day, and to feel a bit like a bride again, on a much smaller scale.  I mean, really, why wear those things only once?  And Anna noticed right away, wanting to play with them all, proving what a little princess she already is.