Friday, February 24, 2012

Snow Day

Well, finally.  I had been waiting for this day for a long time.  An unplanned day off for my husband. Freedom from the stresses of work (for him).  Several extra hours of much needed sleep (for him and for me- I get up with him, too).  A day to relax and unwind together that came as an unexpected surprise.

Before marriage, Brian and I lived in different states.  Last year and the year before, we would always chat on the way to work.  We commuted at about the same time, so he usually called me.  If I didn't hear from Brian, and if I tried to call him and his cell was off, there was usually one reason.  He either had a delay or a snow day.  I would grumble at the unfairness of it all as I sleepily made my way to school, and I immediately checked his school website to see what the status was. Let's just say that he had a lot more delays and days off than I did.

So I couldn't wait, now that we're married, for that glorious day, or perhaps, many days, that we would unexpectedly have to spend together.  After all, we live in the Pocono region, and the past two winters were vicious.  Surely we would have lots of snow days together.

I waited, and waited.  I gave up hope, since this was turning out to be a remarkably and unseasonably warm winter, but my disappointment was appeased when I discovered that Brian's school has "Give Back" days, which are the unused snow days that administration has already scheduled in, and therefore, are given back to the students.  What a wonderful thing!  At my old school, we had one (maybe) if we were fortunate, but they have quite a few in this region.  He already had one this past Tuesday and there are more on schedule for next month.

I accepted this turn of events.  If we weren't going to have a snow day, at least he'd get some days off for all of our disappointment.

But then... a weather report of a winter advisory... and a phone call... the first phone call alerted us to a two-hour delay.  Two hours and another phone call later, we heard the long-awaited news. School was closed!  Allelujah!

I had to make plans quickly.  This was unexpected.  A snow day always calls for some baked goods.  (I love to bake, but I try to hold myself back from baking all the time, since it is just the two of us, and I don't wish for Brian and I to weigh one thousand pounds.)  Brian's parents had made us a "snow day kit" as part of our Christmas gift, but we already ate all the chocolate, and I made the blueberry muffins because I had given up on the elusive snow day.  What to do?  I couldn't even make the chili provided in the kit because I used my ground beef last night for dinner.

Well, the weather really wasn't all that bad, in fact, we didn't have much snow.  We were not snowbound in the least, so off we went to Walmart for some walnuts.  Banana bread just tastes so much better with a little bit of nuts.

In truth, I like snow days better when one is truly snowbound while the snow comes down in buckets and there is nothing to do but drink hot chocolate and watch movies.  It wasn't quite that kind of day, but it still was wonderful, and I got to enjoy a rare weekday home with my husband.

I am satisfied.