Friday, March 16, 2012

Ways I Save Money

I am a cheapskate.  Call me Ebenezer Scrooge if you like, but I like to keep my hard-earned pennies (or Brian's hard-earned pennies).  I don't mind being known as a frugal fanatic.

We are called to be good stewards of all the God has given us.  Brian and I try to be very careful with our dollars.  We routinely have budget meetings once a month, where we look at our spending in the last month, and we plan our spending for the next month.  Brian is a faithful follower and quite knowledgeable in regards to Dave Ramsey's financial instructions, and we follow his guidelines.  As a newly married couple, it's been great to get off to a healthy start.

While I'm no expert, I do have some ways that I save money.  I'm not a parent yet, and I'm sure some moms of five or six children are experts in saving money.  But, I'm thankful for this time, before we have little ones, to learn how to save money.  I will be prepared.

Here are some ways that I save:

  • When it comes to shopping in department stores, I suggest knowing a store well.  Know their sales and their coupon system, and know the general layout of the store and where they have clearance items.  Sometimes it is in the most random of locations.  I shop clearance WHENEVER possible, whether it be for apparel or for home items.  Be prepared to take your time, and look all around so you can find those hidden gems on clearance.  When I was home for Christmas, I went shopping with my mom (on my home turf, where it is most familiar!), and we found decorative pillows on clearance for $1.99 at Boscovs.  We weren't even looking for them, but what a score!  I have COUNTLESS stories like this.  I'm an expert at getting clothes on clearance, and while I've never gone thrift shopping, the prices of my purchases come pretty close.  (One thing I like to do, is wait until I have a 30% Kohl's coupon, and then see what the clearance rack has.  I usually don't get any clearance item that isn't 80 or 90% off at Kohl's.  Combine it with the coupon, and I'm good to go!)
  • This goes without saying, but clipping coupons is key.  We buy the Sunday paper at the dollar store, so we save a dollar when we buy it, and we get all the coupons, therefore, the paper pays for itself.  I then try to combine the coupons with a store sale or wherever I know I can get the cheapest price.  (For groceries, I go mainly to ShopRite in NJ, but I also get some things I know are cheaper at Walmart in PA.)  I actually live right across the street from a grocery store, but I rarely go there because they're rather pricey.
  • I plan my meals in advance and know exactly what I am cooking and what I need to purchase for the week.  It takes the guesswork out of shopping, and I don't wander the aisles wondering what to get. Because of this, I also waste very little food.  When I plan my meals, I try only to buy two meat items a week, because they are expensive, and other nights I have pasta or rice dishes.
  • I'm trying to make more of my favorite items at home.  I am proud to say I have not stepped foot into Dunkin Donuts (or any other coffee shop) since December.  I love lattes, but those couple of dollars spent each time really add up.  I now make my own lattes at home.  I don't have any fancy machine, just a stove and a microwave, so they're not quite as good, but they are good enough for me.  I also plan on making my own frappuccinos as the weather gets warmer.
  • I probably would have never tried this a year ago, but I am now cutting my own bangs.  I like my bangs, and Brian does, too, but they grow like weeds.  Earlier this week, they were completely hanging down over my eyes.  (Not a pretty sight.)  I always get nervous cutting my bangs, because they are right there on my forehead and I can't very well hide it if I butcher them.  I can't even cut wrapping paper in a straight line.  But, in the name of saving money, I do it anyway.  And you know what?  They don't come out looking too bad.  It saves me at least $5 a month.  (I can't cut the rest of my hair, though.  I wish I could and save more money.)
  • I take the time to hunt for the best deal, whatever it is, and I'm not afraid of returns!  I am the return queen, because often I buy something, only to find a better deal later.  I always keep my receipts for this reason.  I have saved quite a bit of money by doing this.  I also take the time to research items.  Perhaps an item might be cheaper, but this other item is a bit more money and is better quality, therefore my money is best spent in that direction.
  • I keep looking for more ways to save.  I am currently looking into making my own laundry detergent.  I've found a "recipe" online, and it doesn't look hard at all!  What have I got to lose?
Those are just a few of the ways I am able to save at this season of life.  I'll look into further ways when we own our own home, and of course, when we have children.  Brian does not like shopping (at all), and I think I drive him crazy as I scan the shelves and compare products to see which one is cheapest.  Even though he hates waiting there, he appreciates my taking the time to save a few dollars.

And, if I ever buy anything for myself (such as clothes) I always tell him!  I never hide it, and I think that's the worst thing when people feel like they need to hide their purchases from their spouses.  I report it to him and tell him that if he wants me to return it, I will do so.  Last month, I bought a cute dress at T.J. Maxx for $3.  He didn't make me return it.

Now, our biggest challenge is house hunting, which we'll be starting soon.  We're praying for a bargain!  We'll see what happens!