Sunday, May 13, 2012

Band Mom

My career as a band mom has officially begun.  After Brian and I got engaged last year, he didn't tell his students right away.  He wanted to wait for an important moment to do so, so he decided that the right time was when his students just performed at their band festival and he was giving them their ranking.  He said that next year, he'd be bringing along a new chaperone... the Mrs.  They were very glad for him, and no doubt surprised, since he never mentioned he had a girlfriend.  For the record, neither did I to my students (a boyfriend, that is), and while happy for me, they couldn't believe I had never informed them of such a significant detail.

Truth be told, I do miss my students.  They brought both joy and headaches to my life, but I miss interacting with them.  Some of them may have given me grief, but I also received plenty of love, and it was hard saying goodbye to them.

So when Brian asked me to help him chaperone his students at their solo festival, I was happy to do so.  Brian was so excited to introduce me to his students and break me into my new role.  I only met a portion of his students, but they were very receptive of me, and I even had a couple of nice chats with a few of the girls.  It made me miss my kids even more.

This week, I'll be helping once again as all ninety-four of his students will be heading to their band festival.  I'm glad to have the opportunity to join my husband in his work and interact with teenagers once again.

But for the record, the term "Band Mom" makes me feel really old.