Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Moving Right Along


The holidays are over, and now that we're in the new year, the calendar is staring us in the face, reminding us that we are to be parents in four months.  (Right now, I'm at 23 weeks.)  We're ready to be parents, I believe, but are we ready for labor?

We are doing our homework, that is for sure.  I have begun a pregnancy Pilates workout led by Lizbeth Garcia.  I absolutely love this workout.  It offers five ten-minute workouts that can be combined or done separately.  I like doing two at once.  (Don't judge my two pound weights.  The instructor only recommends going up to three pounds, and since this is all I have, these will have to do.)

I'm also doing a few exercises that the Bradley Method recommends.  One of them leaves Brian and I laughing quite a bit.  He's supposed to put resistance on my legs while I'm trying to open them, thus strengthening my muscles.  It's kind of hilarious, though, because he is still trying to find that balance between not overpowering me and allowing me to push his arms down.  Some times he wins; some times I win.  (I don't count the ones where he wins, though.  They are do-overs.)

Brian is slowing entering coaching mode.  Am I drinking enough water?  Am I tailor sitting?  This is only the beginning.  We have much to work on, including (for me) learning to relax, and (for Brian) learning to spot if I'm tense or relaxing.  All of these things will help us in labor.

For Brian, he has an especially challenging task.  We live fifty minutes from the hospital where we'll deliver.  While I'm sure he'll shave a couple of minutes off of that (no doubt he'll be flying), it is still a haul.  We don't want to go to the hospital too soon.  Nor do we want to go too late.  He's going to have to take great care to study me and how I'm laboring and where I'm at in labor before we head off.  While it certainly is my decision, too, it might be easier for him to make a better judgment call as he watches me.

I see a midwife, rather than an obstetrician, for my prenatal visits.  However, I am not guaranteed that a midwife will deliver my child, because there are two midwives and five doctors in the practice. I have made my voice known that I prefer a midwife, but my personal midwife will be traveling on the weekends in May, and I'm not sure of the availability of the other.  Why don't I prefer a doctor?  I believe that birth is a natural process, one in which the woman's body already knows what to do. Doctors are trained in medicine and in surgery, and many times, want to bring so-called conveniences (drugs, forceps, episiotomies, etc.) to the table that are not helpful but in fact, harmful. Many times, a doctor will perform a cesarean, not because it is necessary (though some are, but those are the minority), simply because the labor is taking too long and he wants to get it done. Believe me, I've done my research on this.  (Note:  I'm in no way saying this about all doctors as a blanket statement since doctors are different, but this is something I wouldn't have to worry about at all with a midwife.)

So for now, I can only trust in God for that day and what it holds for us.  In the meantime, I'll be doing my part in exercising, studying, and even practicing the stages of labor and what I'm supposed to do during each stage.  Since we live too far to take formal classes, Brian and I need to be diligent ourselves so that when that glorious day in May rolls around, we'll be prepared. We could certainly use your prayers!