Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Rough Week and a Dose of Healthy Perspective

Last week was a rough week for me in terms of pregnancy and overall well-being.  I experienced several dizzy spells, giving new meaning to the old song that goes something like this, "I'm so dizzy my head is spinning...."  Funny that those are the only words I remember, but they are enough, and they summed up what I was feeling in a nutshell.

One episode occurred while getting out of bed, and that didn't make me too nervous.  Relatively normal, I'd say, when changing one's position after quite some time.  But after two more rather severe episodes, when the room began to move- violently- I began to take precautions.  I put myself on a driving ban last week, because even moving my head quickly made me feel rather unstable.  I knew that a dizzy spell behind the wheel could spell potential disaster- in the worst way.

Then, on Sunday morning, I almost passed out- twice.  (This was not the same as the dizziness, but I'll leave out the unpleasant details.)  I ended up at church some time later, looking for all the world like something the cat dragged in.  Well, perhaps my appearance wasn't THAT bad, but it was how I felt.

So I'm close to back to normal, I think.  There are still the occasional dizzy spells, but they are minor in comparison and much more manageable.

Times like these are hard, and they make me wish these next few months would hurry up.  Yet, I know this is but a brief snippet out of my life, and it is one to enjoy.  One of Brian's coworkers, whom I've never even met, told him that she wished she was going through it again (she has two kids).  I always seem to think Brian and I are behind everyone else and need to catch up.  It has given me pause to think and reflect when I do get antsy, that this time of pregnancy, no matter how difficult it can be, is a beautiful time nonetheless.  Only for nine months does this life grow inside of me and is a part of me.  Only for nine months does this life live because it depends on my very breath.  I've got to enjoy it, because this too shall pass, and one day I might miss these precious days.

~And so little one, though I long to see your face and hold you in my arms, I will try to be patient for that day. For now, I'll be content that you are snug and warm and safe, right inside of me.  Please know that your mommy and daddy love you already.~