Tuesday, April 16, 2013

From a Mother to Her Child

My precious child,

In a mere few weeks, perhaps as early as three, I will be celebrating your entrance into my world.

I wish I could tell you how much I love you.  Your father and I await you with arms open wide, and we are so excited and honored to be your parents.  To think that God would bless us with YOU makes us feel incredibly humbled.  We know He has marvelous plans for your life, and we are so grateful to be a part of it.

I hope you always feel loved in our home, and I pray you will always be happy with your father and me.  We won't be perfect parents.  We know we will mess up at times, but when we will, we won't be afraid to admit to you our wrongs.  We want you to grow up to be a godly person, and we realize we can't do that without our Heavenly Father's help.

Life moves so quickly, and while this minute you are still a tiny babe squirming about in my womb, in the blink of an eye, you'll be going away to college!  May we teach you that every day is precious, that even the most seemingly mundane moments in life have meaning, and I hope you learn to cherish each one.

I want to tell you about your daddy.  You, my dear one, are blessed to be his child, because he is the best man in the world!  In him, you'll find a silly playmate.  He will make you laugh a ton, and I can already see you running to greet him when he comes home from work.  But he'll be way more than that.  He will be your teacher and your guide.  As your father, he will train you in the way that you should go, and while that won't always be fun and games, you will be the better for it.  If you ever lose your way, he will lovingly and gently lead you home.  He will provide for you and protect you with everything he has, until it is time for you to make your own path.  You will never doubt his love for you, because he will daily tell you of it.

As for me, well, I can't speak of my own virtues.  You'll have to discover them along with my many vices.  One thing that will always be true is my love for you.  I have wanted to be a mother for a long time, and I believe in being the best mother I can be.  That includes staying home so I can be with you full-time, and in a few years, I will teach you here at home instead of send you to school.  I will always be here for you, ready to soothe all your hurts with a tender hug and a soft caress.  I won't ever think of you as a burden, but the greatest blessing in my life, next to your father.

How wonderful it will be to watch you grow!  So many questions will be unfolded as we get to know you and you develop before our eyes.  Will you have brown hair and blue eyes like your father and me?  Will you inherit your daddy's love for music or my passion for the written word, or perhaps, both?  There is no pressure, however; your father and I want you to be who God has created you to be.  Our job is only to help you along your way.

We are so excited for you.  We've got your room ready, and your car seat has been installed.  Your clothes are washed, and your blankets, too.  Only God knows the day and the hour that you'll arrive, and we can only try to be patient until then.  You'll learn, I'm sure, that your father and I affectionately call one another "Bear", and we often refer to you as our "Baby Bear".  And so, our little Baby Bear, may you know that before you ever even took your first breath, that you are loved and wanted.  We are waiting for you!

With love,
Your Mommy