Sunday, July 14, 2013

Two Months

Dear Caleb,

How can I describe what a joy it is to be your mommy?  I don't think I can without sounding like a Hallmark card, so perhaps I won't even try.  Just know that my heart bursts with happiness every time I look at you.

While I love being your mom, I was not prepared for how achingly vulnerable I find myself as a parent.  This life that we live is such a fragile and delicate thing, and the thought of harm coming your way makes my eyes water.  I love you with the very best that is in me, and I truly and gladly value your life above my own.

When you smile, I smile along with you.  When you cry, I attempt to ease your distress.  When your curious eyes watch the world around you, I try to spot the fascination that you see.  When you are awake, I often talk to you about Jesus, and when you sleep, I pray you will come to know and love Him.

How I cherish every day with you!  All too soon, life passes us by, and in a flash, you'll be getting married.  So here I am, watching you at two months old, and I am savoring every moment.  I am reminded of a quote by Laura Ingalls Wilder, who said in one of her books, "Now is now, and it can never be a long time ago."  How comforting it is to know that our mind's eye can capture these fleeting moments forever, and in a sense, you will always be your mommy's dear little boy.

I love you, my Caleb Bear.  I am wonderfully blessed to be your mom.

Love,
Your mama