Monday, August 12, 2013

The Best Husband

This brief story demonstrates just one of the reasons why I have the best husband in the world.

Two nights ago, Brian went to a wedding in Long Island for one of his coworkers.  Since it was so far, in addition to a wedding being no place for a baby, I stayed behind with Caleb.  I would have liked to have gone with Brian, especially for the chance to dance a slow number with him, something we have not done since our own wedding.

Brian found himself at a table with his colleagues, and there was a moment where a napkin was passed around at each table.  When the music stopped, the person holding the napkin was asked to come to the dance floor.  You guessed it; Brian was the person holding the napkin.  When he arrived to the dance floor, he and all the other victims were told to ask a person from any other table than the one they came from to dance.

If it were me, I would have skulked off and said, "No way!"  But my husband is ever so clever. Instead of being a party pooper, he told me that he immediately began looking for the lady with the whitest, grayest hair.  So he did.

He walked right up to a sweet lady and held out his arm.  She was just tickled, and declared him to be a "nice young man".  It turns out that she was an aunt of the bride.  Brian's colleagues were all in stitches, snapping pictures and such.

The reason I have the best husband is because instead of choosing a young, pretty thing (not that I am saying I am old and ugly), he honored me by choosing an older lady, and he also made this lady feel pretty good.  While I wish I could have been the one dancing with him, I don't begrudge the bride's aunt.

How's that for getting out of a sticky situation?  I married a pretty smart man.