Monday, July 21, 2014

Visit From My Mom & Dad

My parents came up for a visit this past Saturday, just for the day.  Since my birthday is this week, they wanted to make a trip here to celebrate with me.  My mom still works, so she is limited to weekend traveling.  Not to mention that my dad is a volunteer-nanny to my sister's four kids during the weekdays.

We had originally planned to travel this summer.  We have not done so since Christmas.  Call me a whimp, nervous parent, or whatever you want, but I am in no hurry to attempt to travel with our boy. The last time we did we had some disastrous moments, and I guess I am just not too keen on repeating the drama any time soon.  I know there are some parents out there who have no problems dragging their kids anywhere and everywhere- I am not that parent.  I have structured a comfortable routine for him, and while it is not always a picnic here either (he still fights both naps and diaper changes like the enemy), he does know what to expect.  Put him in a strange house in a strange room and leave him there to sleep?  I doubt it very much.

My parents, though they wish we could visit, understand.  So when they offered to come visit, I was delighted.  My mom hit the stores and searched the fliers looking for things she knew I wanted for the house.  Since she lives off of a major highway, she is not far from just about any major retailer. (I MISS those stores being so close!)  I have to say that she did GREAT!

My dad felt that Caleb was a little more shy than he was in May, the last time he saw them.  I'd say it kind of goes up and down.  For example, I had an exterminator/pest control man come to the house in late May when we were being invaded by ants.  Caleb did fine when the guy was here.  One month later, he was a wreck.  I couldn't even put him down in his high chair so that I could fill out the check.  So who knows?  Caleb is definitely shy.  When out in public, he usually gives people The Snub.  I was in Payless the other day, and some lady was crouching in front of him, saying things like, "Hello, sweetheart," and Caleb dramatically turned his face the other way.  I feel like I have to apologize everywhere I go.  (But really, would you want a strange person in your face saying, "Hello, sweetheart?")  One person at our old church said, after trying to hold a terrified Caleb, "This kid needs a social group."  I know he didn't mean it rudely, but it kind of bothered me.  This is our life.  It is just Brian and me.  We do not have family here to visit.  Not too many friends, either.  All of Brian's best friends live elsewhere, and so do mine.  I do not fear that Caleb will grow up to be scared of the world, hiding under a rock and dreading the day he must talk to a human being. Neither Brian nor I are shy, withdrawn people who can't bear the thought of socializing.  We will allow him opportunities to socialize and grow and thrive.

It is okay in my book that he is shy right now.  Better that than willing to walk off with any strange person.

So enough of that tangent.

It was wonderful to spend some time with my parents.  I know they liked seeing Caleb, who is definitely more of the mystery grandchild, since all their other grandkids live close.




Next up:  Brian's parents!  They are also coming this week to help me ring in a new year.  So as you can see, my cup runneth over.