Monday, February 23, 2015

In the Valley

"Down in the valley, valley so low
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow.
Hear the wind blow, love, hear the wind blow;
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow."

These are the words to the beginning of a folk song, which I discovered when I read Catherine Marshall's novel Christy years ago.  (This novel turned into a t.v. miniseries.)

These lines have been tumbling around in my head for what seems like weeks now.  The written word has always impacted me... it is no wonder why I became a literature teacher.

The song goes on from here, but this is the only stanza I've ever known.  I have always believed that the written word is always left for some interpretation by the reader (within reason, of course), and these words speak to me in perhaps a way it wouldn't to another.

Life is full of mountain tops and valleys both.  Some times we feel like we are soaring high; other times we feel like we are sinking on quicksand.  I understand (like everyone else) what it is like to be in the valley.  I also understand what it is like to be on the mountain, and strangely enough, it seems like there are times I can be at both places at once.

To me, this song is so lovely.  It makes it seem as though being in the valley isn't such a bad thing. To me, it is saying, "While you are in that valley, hang your head over.  Go ahead and face whatever challenges are coming your way.  But while you are there, hear the wind blow.  You might be stuck in that valley for a little bit, but it isn't as bad as you think.  Hear the wind blow.  Hear the music in it. Feel the breeze on your face.  Learn from it.  It won't last forever."

I guess that is why I've been dwelling on these words for the past month or so.  In once sense, I am on a mountain top.  I am soaring with the joy of being with child!  It is a wonderful, exhilarating time to know that a tiny babe sits in my womb and is a part of me.  One day he/she will be running around along with our Caleb, but for now, this little one is nestled snug and safe within me.  Sure, pregnancy is an uncomfortable time physically, but it is also wonderfully glorious.

But in another sense, I am in a valley.  It's been a long winter of being stuck indoors most days. The rare times I do get out, I feel akin to a prisoner being let out of prison.  It is also a hard time right now because Caleb is quite the handful.  We are experiencing many temper tantrums and difficulties. Since he is the only human being I interact with, for the majority of the day, it is extremely draining and exhausting.

I'm not trying to complain.  He is a delight and a joy, too!  Don't misunderstand me!  There are times he is so affectionate with me, he absolutely melts my heart.  Lately he's been taking my face into his hands and coming close to me, rubbing noses, or giving me a kiss.  If I am sitting on the floor, he may come over and lean against me.  He doesn't do these things with Brian, because for whatever reason, he just associates them with me.  (He has other things he does with Brian and not with me.)

I know the valley won't last forever.  It'll only serve to make me stronger in the end.  Like this song says, "Hear the wind blow."

I will be listening for the lessons the Lord has for me.