Saturday, February 28, 2015

Moving Forward

After much consideration, Brian and I decided to pursue speech therapy for Caleb.

Back at his 18-month well visit, we received a script for Caleb to get him evaluated for his speech delay.  Thinking at the time that he would come to speak on his own sooner or later, we decided to leave the issue alone for a little while.

Three months later, he is still not speaking.  While we aren't sitting here quaking in our boots, we decided it was time to take some action.  After all, he doesn't even say, "ma ma" or "da da".  Our main concern was him being locked inside himself and frustrated as a result.  With a new baby coming this summer, we want to make sure we give him the time he needs to flourish and thrive.

Today, he was evaluated by three professionals, who evaluated him in several areas.  In the end, they decided that he needs help with speech, and also some eating weaknesses.  (He still won't eat with a spoon or fork.)  He actually did really well socially (which, let's be honest, I was surprised given our very limited sphere of acquaintances around these parts), and his motor skills were also very good. (Only weak in the area of the staircase- entirely my fault- because I'm scared my boy will fall down the stairs.)

They complimented me by saying that I do very well taking care of him and responding to his needs, even though he can't tell me what he wants.  (I know this boy ridiculously well!)  They encouraged me to back off a little and try to force him to tell me what he wants.

In a couple of weeks or so, we'll be opening our home to a speech therapist, who will be coming once a week for an hour to work with him.  I'm excited to see Caleb grow in this way, and frankly, I'm excited to see him getting to know someone on a weekly basis.  I know it will be good for him!

By the way, all of this is entirely free, which is another reason we couldn't refuse.  The county pays for the expenses.  I cannot wait to hear him say his first word!

I also want to add another thing.  It is so easy as a mother to feel thousands of insecurities assaulting you at all times.  Everybody has their own opinion and constantly "shove" theirs in your face, whether or not you are seeking it.  It hurts more than words can say.  I know that I am always trying to do my best for my boy, as I see fit.  (That's all anyone can do, right?)  As I said to this team of professionals, who were fairly diverse in their ages, that sometimes I feel like it is my fault that Caleb isn't speaking.  They basically told me to stop right there with that thinking.  Sometimes, they said, it takes someone else coming in and making a difference.  One of the ladies said that her own two children were both delayed, and she is a speech therapist!  I let their words wash over me, and I felt so encouraged.

One step at a time.  We still are trying to deal with Caleb's many, many temper tantrums, which, to be honest, are draining the life out of me, but at least we are starting to deal with his speech issues. For that I am so excited, and so thankful!