Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Homeschooling



We homeschool Caleb year-round, but for the purpose of having a beginning and an ending to a grade, we made today the first day of homeschool for the next school year at our house, since Daddy went back to work.

I took a bit of a break homeschooling Caleb this summer and let Daddy take over, and he did a great job.  Caleb's reading has taken off, and he keeps improving all the time.  He is also doing great with math!

This is the first year we need to report Caleb to the school district, since PA has strict homeschool laws to follow.  We are keeping records of every last bit of work we do with him.  We are doing more subjects with him this year, especially since he is reading so well, and we are more than excited about working with him!

I'm teaching him language arts, reading comprehension, science, health, phys ed, and some history/geography.  Brian is teaching music (obviously) in the evenings, and he won't let me touch the math because he loves it so much. He will be sharing history with me here and there, because that would probably be his second choice subject to teach full-time if he wasn't teaching music.  We do teach him the Bible as well, and that is mixed into everything we do! 

I actually do love homeschooling, but my own workhorse nature struggles with the fact that I am not taking care of my own chores, which seem endless, while I am teaching.  Of course, I know that teaching is one of my main duties, other than feeding my children!  I'm just being honest that my nature struggles with this.  It is hard juggling chores such as cleaning, baking/cooking (because we eat mainly a Paleo diet and eat little out of a package), and taking care of a baby who disrupts any sort of routine you try to maintain.  I trust the Lord will help me navigate my stay-at-home mom's duties as I learn to give and take.

We are also hoping to entrust Caleb with more chores this year.  It is a slow process, but we are working on it. 

We are proud of our Caleb and how he is growing, and we pray that we encourage him and nurture his mind in the ways that benefit him the most so he will thrive.


Last week, Daddy took Caleb and Silas to the park, and Caleb came back bearing a gift for me.  And you know what?  These are some of the most beautiful flowers I have ever received, because my son thought of me when he picked them.  I made a big deal over them and exclaimed over their beauty as if they were roses instead of weeds.  Because when a son picks his mama a flower, oh, it melts her dear heart!


Our Anna Lynn isn't quite sitting up on her own yet, but she is letting me put her in the Bumbo seat, which is great!  She didn't like it at first!  Speaking of weeds, she is growing like one, for sure!


Here is a big brother who adores his little sister!  My big brother was much the same with me when I was little!