Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Invisalign

For the next year and a half or so, my teeth will be prisoner to a plastic torture device, otherwise known as Invisalign.  As an adult, I thought I had missed the orthodontic treatment boat years ago. In fact, when my new dentist told me I should go see an orthodontist, I said, "Me?!  I'm too old. Aren't braces for fourteen year olds?"  She replied, "You aren't that old.  You have more living left in you than you have yet lived."  What a great quote, with a lot of alliteration to boot.

For years I have had a problem with grinding my teeth, and doing so has been wreaking havoc on my dental health.  Actually, my teeth are in good shape except for that.  I don't have and haven't had any cavities.  But this grinding is causing my teeth to chip away at the root, and I have needed fillings in several areas.  I didn't know it until I went to see the orthodontist, but it turns out that I have a bad overbite that is causing said grinding.

I knew I didn't want metal braces at this point in my life, so after discussing the cost of Invisalign with Brian, he was all for it.  I would like to add that this would never have been possible if I were still single.  Since Brian's insurance actually has orthodontic coverage for adults, I am able to get these. Still, it is a bit pricey, but I left the entire decision up to my husband.  Needless to say, he is too good to me.

I'm slowly getting used to them, after having them for a week now.  Yes, they are annoying and uncomfortable at times, but that is nothing compared to the fact that I have to brush my teeth after every time I eat or drink.  It's a lot of work and upkeep, but I'm trying to keep focused on the goal. I'm glad I am no longer teaching, because sometimes my mouth is tired from wearing these, and talking all day long would be difficult.

I'm posting some pictures (hi mom!) which prove that these really are close to invisible.  I don't even think Brian knows if I have them in or out.


I'm not the best photographer out there, but you really can't tell I'm wearing Invisalign unless you are right in front of my face.  Also, please forgive the lack of makeup.