Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My New Instrument

When meeting me for the first time, I am often asked by people that know Brian if I have any musical talent.  After all, I am married to a music teacher who knows how to play all manner of instruments. Since his youth, his days were spent playing his beloved french horn and even singing in the chorus. So naturally, people think that surely this talented musician must have gravitated toward one who shares similar interests.

When people ask me such a question, I can't help but laugh and admit, with a little self-deprecation, that I have no such ability whatsoever when it comes to music.  I do not know how to play any instruments; I can't even read music.  And heaven help me, but I do try to sing softly in church that I might not scare any of the congregation standing near.

Poor Brian- because I got the better end of the deal!  He actually can write, and sounds intelligent when he does so, but I am just a tone-deaf musical ignoramus.

So when Brian tried to get me to play his guitar about a week ago, I knew it wouldn't be easy.  He took it out and had me playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" in no time, but I complained that the steel strings were hurting my delicate fingers.  A light bulb went on in his head, and he said, "I bet you'd like the dulcimer."  And just as I was asking, "What in the world is a dulcimer?", he was off and running to the closet, and from the depths therein, he proudly produced an instrument I had never seen before.


So there it was, in all its glory, the perfect instrument for me, with only three strings, and four adorable hearts to boot.  Brian had taken a class in college in which he had to learn this charming little rustic instrument, and though he didn't feel too manly carrying around an instrument with hearts on it, he might have changed his tune if he had only known then that he was buying it for his future wife.

In our first lesson, Brian had me playing fifteen songs in a mere forty-five minutes.  I am far from being good or even worthy to hear, but it is a start for this non-musician.  I can honestly say that I am excited to have an instrument to call my own, and though I may never be proficient, I have a new little hobby in which to tinker away.  And when, with our future children, we one day form our humble family band, I will claim this instrument far in advance.  I'll let our children take on more challenging instruments!

In all seriousness, I am happy to be learning something new and joining Brian in something that he loves.  I am proud of him for finding a musical apparatus so perfect for me.  I love it, and I hope to get decent enough to listen to, someday.