Thursday, March 21, 2013

Another Episode and the Last Concert

Yesterday was a pretty full day.

For me, it started with a list of errands to run, which is becoming increasingly difficult to do as my pregnancy goes on.  Due to where we live, when I go downtown for any reason, I always stop at more than one place. To go two different days is just a waste of gas.  But as my mom said to me after she heard my story, I am getting to the point where I need my own bodyguard.

Here was my list of errands:  post office, eye doctor, gas, grocery store for pit stop where laundry detergent was on sale, Walmart, and Lowe's, but only Lowe's if Walmart didn't have one thing I was looking for.  They didn't.

I always start off my errands feeling pretty good.  Yes, I eat breakfast.  However, Walmart is a big store, and yesterday, I just walked too much of it.  I had been looking for a couple of things I don't normally buy, and while I actually purchased less than normal, I spent a lot of time walking around.  I could feel my footsteps get heavier as my time in the store lengthened.  I waited on the checkout line, which was going particularly slowly, and when it was my turn at long last, I began to feel myself fading.  I know the feeling of lightheadedness all to well.  It comes on slowly, usually giving me time to take shelter in a chair or something, but when one is on a checkout line waiting to pay, that option isn't available.  I was getting weaker by the second, and I could feel the blood draining from my head.  I almost said the cashier, "Hurry and check me out before I pass out!" but decided against it.  She rang my items, all the while, completely oblivious to me actually leaning over the cart for support.  Even the people on line behind me were not paying attention.  I glanced around for a place to take refuge, and I saw a bench, unoccupied, by customer service.  Finally, she gave me my total, and I all but shoved the money her way, and she at last noticed my distress.  "Are you okay?  Do you need water?"

"I'm not feeling well.  I am pregnant.  I just need to get to that bench over there."

She finished the transaction, and I all but ran over to the bench (with my cart), and turned to notice her notifying another staff member about the crazy pregnant lady.  The other staff member came over to me, and got me a bottle of cold water (for which she wasn't interested in charging me- that was very kind), and another staff member came to me and said he hoped I wouldn't deliver there in Walmart.  (I guess that happened in a Walmart somewhere just last week!)  I assured him I still have seven weeks to go, and that I was just feeling lightheaded and it would soon pass.

It did.  I felt much better after only a couple of minutes, due to the chair and the water.  In fact, I didn't stay long.  I had one more stop to make, and I thought I had enough strength to make it home. When I did, I devoured lunch and took a long nap.  Needless to say, I was very glad to not have passed out in Walmart.

I couldn't nap as long as I may have wanted, however, because I had to make sure dinner was prepared early.  Brian had his March concert last night, and ever the good husband that he is to me, he came home to get me, instead of making me drive myself.  That does create an extra burden for him, and while I hate that, I am a terrible night driver, anywhere really, but especially on these rural roads here in PA/NY.  I wouldn't have him come and get me if I didn't think my very life was at risk due to my poor night driving skills.

It was a bit sad for me, because this is the last concert that I can probably attend for a while.  Brian and I will be very new parents by the time of the next concert in May, and it will most likely be a while before I can attend any of his concerts while I have a baby to care for.  It is also late for Baby to be out, and it is loud, so I'm not sure when we will be able to take our little one to see Daddy.  I'll have to play that one by ear.

When we were dating, I could only hear Brian describe his concerts.  Obviously, I could never go to even one, given the fact they were always in the middle of the week and I had my own teaching job in NJ.  Since we were married, I've been to five concerts now.  I'm always there with my camera, recording.  Last night, Brian was particularly entertaining as he had some faculty participate in one song, and he chose some very upbeat, well-known pieces.  While I am no musician, I thought his students were excellent, and Brian's direction superb.  For example, Brian sometimes starts concerts this way:  the students are already playing, and then he rolls the curtain back, and he's not even on the podium directing them!  He takes his time- calm, cool, and collected- and trusts their skills and ability to play without him conducting, at least for a minute or two.   Then he joins them, showing just who is in charge.  It always brings a smile to my face, and I am so terribly proud of him.

A couple of his colleagues asked me how I was feeling, and my response of, "Well, I almost passed out in Walmart today," made a good story.

I have no picture to post here, because while I took video, I didn't get any photos taken.  Just for fun, I'll include this photo of Brian dressed up for his concert this past December.  He basically looked the same last night, except he had a different tie.  He had very much the same smile on his face after it was over!