Thursday, March 28, 2013

My Baby Shower

Brian and I went home to NJ this past weekend for my baby shower.  My sister was the one who put the most blood, sweat, and tears into the whole affair, but she got a lot of help from my mom, as well as my Aunt Karen, who opened up her beautiful home for the event.



The best part of the shower was not the presents, but it was seeing a lot of my old coworkers that I haven't seen since my wedding.  I taught at a Christian school, and my colleagues there were more like family than anything else.  It was definitely a happy reunion, for me at least, to be able to be in their company again.

My nieces, Emily and Lindsey, kept me opening presents at a world record pace.  I could hardly have time to gush over each item because they were ready with the next.  I believe they had a lot of fun!


I have quite a few pictures, so I thought I'd pick out some of the homemade gifts to feature on the blog as a good place to start.

My friend Michele, whom I used to work with and has since moved to Maryland, mailed this beautiful quilt that she made since she couldn't be there in person:


I chose cream and brown as the colors for the baby's room since we don't know what we are having, and she obliged with this handcrafted beauty.  I love it!  I can't wait to drape it over the crib when we get it.  Oh, and it is also reversible.


My sister's mother-in-law, who is in Florida for the winter, also mailed a homemade blanket of her own.  I remember her making blankets for my nieces and nephews, and now I have one for my baby!


My former co-worker and friend, Lynn, whom I used to love to chat with in the mornings at work when I grabbed my cup of tea, crocheted this cuddly-soft blanket:


There were many other fabulous items, and I cherish each gift that came from the heart of someone I love and miss, and wish I could see much more often.  This is a photo of my former coworkers (and nieces):


Somehow, I completely missed getting the photo that included my aunts and cousin, and since my mom and sis were behind the camera, they unfortunately aren't in the group photo :(

(Funny story- Two of my friends that were at the shower had it in their heads that I was having a girl. Last week, two random people told me they thought I was having a girl.  When I went to Babies R Us the day after the shower to purchase a few things, I accidentally bought two sets of pacifiers. One was a neutral color, which I wanted, but somehow I also ended up carrying a pink set to the check out and paid for it.  I returned it promptly.)

It was a beautiful day and a wonderful shower, and I appreciate my family who worked so hard to make it possible.  As I thanked my mom once more as I was hugging her goodbye, she said, "You're worth it."  I answered back with, "Well, I don't know if I am, but the baby sure is."  I can't stand a lot of fuss for me, but I would agree that this little one is worth it.

At the end of it all, I came home to this excited daddy-to-be:


We are counting down to the finish line.  Six weeks to go!  We have much to do, including work on the baby's room, wash Baby's clothes, make sure my car is in tip-top shape for the ride to the hospital (oil change and car wash, mostly), install car seat (once we receive it- I just ordered it!), have car seat checked, etc., etc.  There is plenty more than just that.  I am grateful for our visit back home in NJ, but now it is full steam ahead!