Thursday, March 7, 2013

In About Two Months

Two months from yesterday is my due date.  To think that Brian and I will soon be holding our baby has me so excited!  I thought I'd write a little post about all the things I am looking forward to.

Of course, it goes without saying, I am simply looking forward to seeing my baby, holding my baby, kissing my baby's face, etc., etc., etc.  I can't wait to pick up my little one from a nap, and seeing his/her legs all curled up, looking adorable in a onesie.

But let's get to some of the other things I am looking forward to, that are, shall we say, more shallow?  Hey, I don't think I need to defend myself here.  A pregnant woman greatly looks forward to returning to normalcy again.  Here are some of those things, in no real order of importance:

1.  Sleeping/rolling over in bed without worry that I'll harm, squish, or cut off the blood flow to Baby.  (I am so weary of sleeping on my side and the tiredness it causes in my legs and hips.)
2.  Someday returning to my former size... whenever that might be.  In any case, I am ready to be done with maternity clothes. (Though I have to thank my sister, because it is all of her hand-me-downs that I am wearing these days.  Three cheers for an older sister who has been pregnant three times, and saved her clothes for me instead of just dumping them when she was done!)
3.  No more lightheadedness, odd pains, and overall discomfort.
4.  There are quite a few things in the food/drink department I am quite ready for.  Brian says he will get me a coke before we leave the hospital.  (I used to be somewhat addicted to coca cola, but since Brian hated me drinking something so unhealthy, I gave it up when we were married.  I would only have a coke if we were out to dinner or something.  Of course, pregnant, I haven't had it at all.  I am just looking forward to one glass.)
5.  Drinking a latte.
6.  Deli meats.  My mom and dad will be bringing me up a sub from Jersey Mike's after the baby arrives.  Yum!  These are some of the things to focus on during labor!
7.  Drinking coffee once in a while.  I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I do like it here and there, with sugar and vanilla creamer to sweeten it up.  Of course, while breast feeding, a mother still has to watch her caffeine intake, but one cup a week, for example, will be all right.
8.  Having a bounce in my step again.
9.  Putting all the worries that go along with labor and delivery behind me.

While this one doesn't really fit the list in the same way, I am greatly looking forward to my mother's visit after the baby arrives.  She will be taking a week off of work to come and help me, not just with the baby, but with house work as well.  She did the same for my sister.  In fact, I remember when my sister first brought Emily home from the hospital, she was changing her out of her outfit for the first time, and Emily was crying and making a fuss.  My sister called out, "Mom, help me!"  (I'd like to add that after four kids, my sister no longer needs such help.)  I made a mental note that day that I, too, would have my mom around when I stepped into motherhood.  My mom is such a trooper, and I know she'll do laundry for me, and whatever else needs to be done so I can relax a little.  A girl simply has to have her mamma around, when she becomes a mamma herself!

So those are a few things I am looking forward to.  In the meantime, however, I am busy around here, continuing to organize and make things ready.  This baby will be here soon enough!