Wednesday, September 4, 2013

So Long, Summer

August isn't even cold in its grave, and the stores swiftly began displaying pumpkins and mums for sale.  Goodness.  Please don't add salt to our already aching wounds.  No need to rub it in, folks.

Please don't misunderstand.  I love fall.  I really enjoy all the seasons, but I like the crispness of fall when it is cool enough for a jacket but not cold enough to shiver into an ice sculpture.  I am always ready to say goodbye to shorts, capris, and sandals and slip instead into my favorite pair of jeans. (Not sure I can get into them yet, with a few extra pregnancy pounds, but that's another story.)

I enjoy summer most of all because I get to spend it with my best friend.  For those that think teachers have it made in the shade, they don't see how hard my husband works.  Teaching is already like working two jobs with all the extra work at home, and my husband really does work two jobs.  So it is easily like working three jobs.  As a music teacher, he has so many extra activities, concerts, competitions, judging, school play, etc., etc., etc.  You get the picture.

I don't mean to sound "woe is me" when he is the one doing all that hard work.  But it does get lonely sometimes.  My mom and sister certainly can't drop in for a quick visit and chat over a cup of tea.  I can handle the regular hours Brian is away.  It is the second job and the added activities that make it difficult some days.  I miss him.  Now, with taking care of a baby, sometimes an extra set of eyes to watch our precious one is most welcome when trying to get a meal on the table.  (I won't even talk about how the kitten gets into EVERYTHING.)

So summer is over, but it has left us with some memories.  We watched our Caleb boy grow to three and half months old, and he delighted us a few days ago by rolling over FIVE times in one day!  He is no puny boy, that's for sure!  He's already a tough little guy, and as soon as I can get him to help me carry the groceries in, I will!

After a second close encounter with a mouse, we brought home a kitten, and while I am still trying to get used to the little guy, Brian loves him, so at least he's not neglected.  (I am trying, folks.)  He's still a bit of a rascal, and I'm hoping he calms down as he gets a little older.  On the plus side, he does kill/eat spiders, so he may prove to come in handy to this spider-detesting girl.

We finally purchased a new (used) car!  Brian's old deathtrap is finally a thing of the past.  He endured an entire winter without heat.  (Some days I forced him to drive my twenty-year old car which does have heat.)  We spent Christmas day pulling over on the side of the road to pour coolant into the car just so we could get home.  No more!  I know Brian feels good taking our new car to work, and I get to take it on the days I travel a good forty-five minutes or so to any of the major stores, such as Kohl's.

We also celebrated two years of marriage in August, and I am grateful everyday that I married my best friend.  I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Now, we look ahead.  Brian's birthday is next month, and then we have Thanksgiving, and a glorious Christmas to look forward to with our firstborn.  I am sad to see Brian go back to work, but I do look forward to the days ahead.

As for next summer?!  Caleb will be a year old, and we already have several activities planned.  We won't nearly be as limited as we were this summer.  We can't wait!