Friday, October 25, 2013

Little Jailbird


Is there anything cuter than a baby in stripes?  The words of Elvis Presley come to mind... "You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see."  Lock me up with this little boy and I'll be happy!  (Yes, I know the words to many Elvis Presley songs as a result of having not one, but two parents who enjoyed his music.  Don't even get me started on Bon Jovi, the music of whom my once-teenaged older brother blasted through his bedroom walls when I was just a little girl.)

This was one of many outfits purchased by my mother who can't seem to resist passing through the baby department whenever she's in the store.  Good thing, too, because I don't get to the stores much.  Caleb is already moving up to his 9-month size clothing because he's such a big boy.

Some highlights this week that are certainly worth mentioning:  Caleb has successfully (as of yesterday) completed the full turn from back to tummy to back again.  He also has managed to get his foot into his mouth.  He was close for a while, but he finally got it a few days ago.  He's also able to stay propped on his elbows for longer lengths of time.  I just started putting him in his bouncy chair, and while he needs some blankets to give him some support, he is enjoying it.

Sleeping is still a chore.  I struggle to get him to sleep in his crib and many times just use the swing, because the movement helps him.  The car is a wonder.  There have been times I've taken a drive down the street for a coffee just to enjoy the effects of smooth car ride on a boy who fights sleep like it's his worst nemesis.  (I often say to Caleb- "Wait until your an adult.  You'll be begging for nap time.")

I love my dear boy and he brings a smile to my face many times throughout the day.  When I walked into my orthodontist appointment the other day, with Caleb in my arms, the nurses and receptionist who all happened to be lined up in the foyer could not help but GUSH at the little cutie.  One nurse got to hold him while I got checked out, and I think she was a little reluctant to return him.  I still pinch myself.  He's really mine!

Though motherhood is the hardest job I've ever had (and I've had many:  legal secretary, financial aid adviser, teacher to name a few), this is definitely the hardest, but it is by far the most rewarding. The days may be long, there's no time off, and my own needs often go on the back burner.  Caleb's smiles, however, make every bit of it worthwhile.