Friday, May 9, 2014

A Long-Distance Bargain

I mentioned in my last post that we wanted to get Caleb one of those turtle sandboxes for his birthday.  In fact, Kmart had one advertised for $24.99 some time ago, a cheap version of the Tikes brand.  I had gone to the store to look at it, but I was with Caleb, and I wasn't even going to attempt to try to put it into the car by myself.  It was very doubtful that it would even fit into the car.

My parents are coming up tomorrow, and my mom's car is a lot roomier, so I had asked if we could use the car to run to Kmart and get the sandbox.  My dad called with a better idea.  Since he is dropping my mom off here (she is staying a week, but he's heading home), he offered to go to Kmart back at my old home and bring it back in time for Caleb's party.

I really didn't want him to go to the trouble, but he said it was no trouble, so off he and my mom went to Kmart.

Now would be a good time to mention that I am pretty good at getting bargains.  In fact, both my former coworkers and students knew about my good deals.  My dad usually stands amazed at the deals that I find, and mind you, it is not thrift store stuff.  It is always brand new.  I have actually never bought anything from a thrift store.  (I have nothing against thrift stores.  I am simply not a good thrift store shopper, believe it or not.)

My parents walked into Kmart and asked an employee whereabouts the sandboxes would be.  The store employee said something like, "Oh, those things?  They've been there for years.  They're not all in good shape.  I'll sell it to you for $5."

My dad called me and told me right away, while still in Kmart, and said he'd check them out to see if he could get one in good condition.  I couldn't believe it.  $5?

My poor dad had to climb over some rocks and I know not what to get to the sandboxes, but aside from being a little dirty (they were outside in the garden center), they were in excellent shape.

The same employee proceeded to instruct the cashier to ring the item up for $5.

Folks, this was supposed to be our big birthday present to Caleb.

Anyway, my parents went home, and my mom proceeded to rinse out the sandbox with the hose, and it will be here in time for Caleb's party.  (Here's hoping we have the sand by then.)

My dad told me later that in retrospect, he thinks the employee may have originally been referring to some other sandboxes, also abandoned.  In fact, he saw a sign in a different location advertising the sandbox that he did purchase for the sale price.  However, the employee saw him with that sandbox and still allowed him to get it for $5.  So we're really not sure what happened, only that we got it for a steal.

Just after my dad made the purchase, he said to me, "I feel like I'm getting one of your deals." Which is exactly what he did!  Thanks, Dad!  Next time, please don't climb over any rocks.  No deal is worth getting an injury.