Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Spring Break & Easter (a Late Post)

I am woefully late posting this.  Please blame it on chasing a baby around constantly, as in as soon as I sit down, I am off running after him because he is either a) getting into something he shouldn't be or b) standing next to something which makes me nervous if he should take a spill.  It also takes forever to upload my photos, and I always have six million photos of Caleb to upload and organize into folders.

Spring Break was a few weeks ago.  It came and went much too quickly, as vacations always tend to do.  We spent four out of the five days schlepping our cars back and forth to be repaired, so it wasn't exactly a rip-roaring good time.  Still, it was so nice to have Brian home.  He is far too busy, and if it weren't for summer break, I might just succumb to a fit of despair.

We took Caleb to the swings.  The first time, we took him to the swings in the community where we live, because the park had not opened yet.  I was so looking forward to it all winter.  I couldn't wait to put our little boy into the swing and hear his delighted squeals of joy.

So you can imagine our disappointment when he cried.


Poor boy!

We tried again the following weekend, when the park finally opened the last day of Spring Break. We changed our tactic this time.  Brian put Caleb into the swing, and gently walked with him up and down, and I stood right in front and gave him kisses every time Brian pushed him up toward me. He began to smile and enjoy himself, so Brian let him go.  He started to like it!




Clearly, we ignored this sign.


Then, Caleb celebrated his first Easter!  Obviously, he's too young for an Easter basket, so I bought him a pail, shovels, and bubbles.  We're hoping to get him a turtle sandbox for his upcoming birthday.  (The problem is trying to fit it in our car.)

(Don't worry; I took those bubbles away immediately after photo was snapped.)

I don't believe I've ever made an actual Easter dinner before this year.  I think we've always been traveling.  Caleb and I haven't been going to church (heathens!), because it interferes with one or both, depending on the day, of Caleb's naps, so I cooked while Brian was at church and had nice pork roast ready for him when he got home.


So Caleb has now made it through every holiday except for one... and he saved the best for last, the one he missed by two days last year...Mother's Day!  I am looking forward to it this year, because not only am I celebrating with my son, but my parent's, too!  My mom is coming up to spend a week with me so we can enjoy some time together, and she'll also be helping me get ready for Caleb's first birthday party.  I'm really close to my mom, and it is hard living so far from her.  I get lonely here sometimes without any family or friends around, so I'm really grateful she can make this trip up here. We'll see how Caleb does; he has pretty bad stranger anxiety, and he doesn't know anyone besides me and Brian.  When we are out, he is fine if we are holding him.  He is fine also being pushed in the stroller or grocery cart.  But he is an absolute wreck otherwise.  I had a terrible time with his crying at my doctor's appointment last week!  Yikes!  Oh, well.  He will grow out of this... eventually!

Needless to say, it's been fun watching him grow.  He never fails to draw attention anywhere we go. I don't even know how many people say hello to him when we are out grocery shopping; it seems we can't go more than a couple of aisles without someone saying something.  It is weird for me, because when I am grocery shopping, I am in concentration mode.  I am looking for the best deals and checking ingredients in products, and so often I have to stop and acknowledge whoever is trying to get Caleb's attention.  It isn't a bad thing; it is just funny and strange all at the same time!

I love this little boy!