Friday, September 5, 2014

Back-To-School Blues

I've got the back-to-school blues.

Whatever for, you might be wondering?  My student days are long since over, and my teaching days have been finished for three years now.  No, I am bemoaning my husband's return to his job.

It's been really hard on Caleb, which in turn, makes it hard on me.  I don't know what goes on inside his little mind, and I do not believe he goes around here missing Daddy all day long.  But- something just isn't right.  He is more clingy; I can hardly leave the room to go to the bathroom, and nap time and bedtime have both become nightmares once again.  As soon as I start to carry Caleb to the crib, the crying commences, and as soon as I lay him down, he is up on his feet, as if begging me to not leave him there.

Folks, it breaks my heart.

Perhaps I seem cold-hearted to continue on my way and close the door on my wailing son, but I know him.  He does not go to sleep with my presence.  I could sit and rock him in the chair for an hour, and he'd still stay awake.  As terrible as it is, he needs to have his cry, and be done with it so he can fall asleep.  Yesterday, one of his naps he cried for half an hour.  I already went through this months ago, so to have to go through it again is discouraging.

I've also resorted to doing more laundry at night, because Caleb can't stand me leaving the room for a moment to go throw a load in.

When Brian came home from work two nights ago, Caleb heard the front door opening and immediately got excited.  We were on the floor, and he started climbing onto my leg, wanting me to pick him up.  I carried him to the entryway, and he was no doubt excited to see Daddy, but at the same time, he decided to be Mr. Shy.  He kept burying his face in my neck, probably wondering all the while, "Daddy, where have you been all day?"  As soon as Brian got out of his work clothes, he grabbed our boy, put him on his shoulders, and all was right in the world once again.

Hopefully, in a couple of weeks, Caleb will be adjusted once again, and I can't wait!