Thursday, November 27, 2014

A Thankful Thanksgiving & a Change of Plans

We were supposed to travel this Thanksgiving, but a foot of snow that barreled its way through here yesterday kept us home.  We haven't gone anywhere since last Christmas... it is a bone of contention around these parts.  Brian comes from a more laid-back family, and I guess I come from a family of worry-warts.  As much as I wanted to see my family... terribly... I dreaded traveling with our boy and all the drama that would bring (ie:  no sleep for all).

The snow made the decision for us, so I scrambled last minute to throw together a decent meal.  For the record, I had never cooked a Thanksgiving meal before today.  Brian and I will most likely never host Thanksgiving since our families live elsewhere, and since we are in the minority, we have to go to them.  I bought a just-under five-pound turkey breast this past Monday, and it turned out to be just right for us.

Aside from using every pan under creation and dealing with the mess that such a meal creates, I thought my dinner turned out pretty successful.  Even though my turkey was small, I managed to create a delicious gravy from it, which I didn't even think I'd be able to do.  (No extra cooking stock required, folks!)

I did miss my mother's apple pie though, terribly.

I had planned on doing some Black Friday shopping with my dad and sister, but they'll have to find the bargains without me this year.

Regardless of the losses, it was a wonderful day.  While it was rather strange to spend the holiday here by ourselves, it was a peaceful, simple day with much to celebrate.  As we look forward to the coming Christmas season, it is good to take a moment to reflect on all that God has given us- so much more than we could ever deserve.  I have a husband that I love and a little boy that steals another piece of my heart each day.  My purpose in life is a glorious one- to love and serve them with the best that is in me.

Here are some photos from the day!