Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Caleb Updates

Caleb just turned 18 months last week, so I thought I'd share a few things about what's going on with him these days.

1)  All of the sudden, he isn't so bored any more.  He used to be.  He is sick of his current toys.  (I am, too, by the way.  His Christmas presents are mine also, since I get down on the floor and play with him.)  Caleb is having so much fun getting into my cabinets, drawers, etc.  He has been doing that for some time, but more so.  He figured out how to open the Lazy Susan, and he loves grabbing things out of there.  He knows he's not allowed to take things out (other than the peanut jars- for whatever reason, sometime ago, he started playing with those).  If he starts taking items out, I tell him to put them back, and he does.

2)  He knows how to turn the stereo on and off, and he can stop the dvd player, too.  In fact, when he wants his Veggie Tales on, he will turn the stereo off, thus my cue to get his show up and running.

3)  He still isn't talking.  He babbles, but he has said no words clearly yet.  At his last doctor's appointment, of course, they got all worried and thought we'd better save him from doom's day, and they quickly recommended that we take him to be evaluated.  We will see.  We might follow-up on their recommendations if things don't change, but we aren't panicking.  Kids don't always have to follow a schedule.  Brian and I are both confident he will be a talker in time.

4)  Caleb is still tall for his age.  In fact, now that winter temps are upon us, and he and I are both in full winter gear, I am having a terrible time trying to carry him in and out of the house.  His winter coat slips against my coat, and I lose my grip on him.  Combine that with one arm needs to be free to shut and lock the door, hold onto the railing if there is ice, and open the car door.  He almost slipped from my arms today, and I was exhausted by the time we reached the car.  How in the world do I get through the whole winter like this?  I have a feeling we'll be staying in A LOT.  It just ain't worth it!

5)  As with all little boys, Caleb loves his Daddy.  When I hear Brian coming home, I say to Caleb, "Daddy!", and he comes running over to me, wanting me to pick him up so we can greet him at the top of the stairs.  Daddy is his hero, I am sure.