Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Merry Christmas Eve!

So here we are.  I don't know how it does it, but the season seems to go by faster every year, and leaves my head spinning.  This year, I stood every day with my little countdown to Christmas chalkboard, and called out to Caleb how many days we had left.  Of course he didn't understand a word I said, but he would smile at my excitement anyway.

Today has been a flurry of getting things ready, and my adrenaline has kept me going.  Yesterday, I was exhausted, even taking a nap when Caleb took one, which if you know me, is VERY unlike me. I was walking around like a zombie, and I even had a very small cup of coffee to keep me going. That is how tired I was.  Today, I am the complete opposite, buzzing around here getting things done, totally excited for the holiday.

Brian's parents are coming tomorrow afternoon, and I am so excited to host my first real holiday event at my house.  Usually, we are the ones to travel, and once again, we have put off our travels for another time, due to various reasons.  In my preparation for tomorrow's turkey dinner, I have pre-made the mashed potatoes (which will be reheated in my crock pot), and I have made my dinner rolls (which I make using my bread machine).  Since tomorrow is a day I want to enjoy, I would rather not be cooking ALL day.  I'll throw the turkey in the oven, then the sweet potatoes, and I'll make the stuffing, and eventually, the gravy, and we'll be all set.

I pre-made our breakfast, which is an egg and sausage casserole, which sits in the fridge until it is baked in the morning... we grew up on this casserole in our house, and I am looking forward to my husband and son having their first bites.

So all that's left is pulling out the gifts tonight and placing them under the tree, stuffing stockings, and putting together Caleb's basketball hoop so it is all ready to go.

Though this holiday marks one year that I have not been home to see my family, I still am happy and filled with joy.  I am so excited to see Caleb open his gifts and play with his new things.  I am thrilled to spend another Christmas with the love of my life.  There is so much to be thankful for; so much to look forward to... truly, Christmas gets better every year.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!  And last but not least, thank you, God, for the gift of your Son, Jesus Christ, and His glorious birth, life, ultimate sacrifice, and resurrection.  No gift under the tree could ever compare to that.