Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Caleb: Twenty Months

It's been a while since I've done an update on Caleb.  Today is his twenty-month birthday, and I can scarcely believe he will be turning two in just four months.  What in the world?  How did that happen?  A year ago he was only eight months old.


He's so active now, so curious, and is interested in everything.  If we run to the bedroom or the bathroom, he's running behind us, wanting to know what we are doing.  He gets bored so easily these days, which is a combination of two things:  a) being more indoors due to the frigid temperatures and b) he never plays much with his toys.  He never has.  I had thought that Christmas might change this, bringing in brand new things, but it hasn't.  I am coming to the conclusion that he is just not that into toys, which can make the day very long and draining for us both.  He can only bang through my cabinets so many times.

He's a full-blown toddler now, complete with temper tantrums about fifty times a day.  This, too, can be very draining for me.  He definitely does not like the word "no", he wants his way, and he continues to fight me on diaper changes and naps.  These days, I am often hit in the face, and I have been bit three times, on purpose.  One was the inner thigh.... ouch!  (I still have a purple mark.)

Yes, we are dealing with these things and not just looking the other way, but for whatever reason, he is trying to desperately hold on to his will and his way.

But, in spite of all this, he is the light of my life.  When I crouch on the floor to pick up a toy or a crumb, he often will lean against me for his version of a hug, and he'll kiss my cheek.  Those tender moments are so sweet that I want to hold onto them forever.

I can't wait for winter to be over, when we can shed the winter coats and I can carry him down the stairs and out the door without feeling like I'm going to keel over due to all of the bulk.

He still hasn't said any words yet, but we are not worried.  I've heard from other parents who had slow-talkers, and their kids turned out just fine.  I do long to hear him speak a word or two, and hopefully it won't take too much longer.  I think I will melt the day I finally hear "I love you."  For now, even without words, Caleb gets across what it is that he wants.  I know him pretty well, and it is a rare moment that I can't figure out what he wants me to get for him.

Daddy is his clearly his best friend.  When Daddy comes home from work, Caleb could care less about anything else.

We love our little boy!