Thursday, March 5, 2015

A Letter to March

Dear March,

I've always liked you.  You provide a gentle reprieve, following the long, cold months of December, January, and February.  You are always welcome with open arms, which, by the way, are more than ready to be shed of our heavy winter coats.

But, so far, you've been a letdown this year.  I know the weather forecast shows warmer days ahead, but you decided you had to prove your bravado by roaring in like a lion.  It simply wasn't enough that we've suffered through snow after snow, with temps well below zero a number of times, and I and my husband forced to kneel in front of the kitchen cabinet, holding the blow dryer on our frozen pipes. More than once.  And yes, we took precautions.  (One day it took me THE WHOLE DAY to get them unthawed.)

It wasn't enough that Caleb and I have been trapped indoors for the majority of the winter.  Our driveway has been a slippery death trap, and while I managed to sneak out with Caleb last week once or twice, you simply HAD to bring not one, but three more snows since you started five days ago, thus covering up our well-worn foot path, and making carrying him, plus myself with my growing girth, impossible.  (And I'm sure you know the snow is way too deep for his little legs to walk in, not too mention far too slippery. Adults can barely manage the task.)

Did you not see that both our cars have been parked at the end of the driveway, due to all the snow that could not be consistently shoveled, since my husband has been sick TWICE?  Since yesterday, his car has been stuck in the snow, and he's forced to drive my '93 Prizm.

Though I cannot blame you for this, we're all on our second round of sickness in our house (which is way worse than the first!), and it has been quite the task trying to care for a sick toddler when all I want to do is collapse myself.

Okay.  I've said enough.  I cannot blame you for everything.  After tomorrow, the forecast shows that the temps will start rising to the thirties, then forties, and even two days show the early fifties! There is hope... after today and tomorrow.

So I beg you:  please bring your warmth and sunshine.  Please melt this snow.  Please let us see our driveway again.  I want to leave the house without it being such an exhausting physical battle.

I have faith in you.  Please don't let me down.  By the end of this month, I want to put all my bulky maternity sweaters away.

Thank you.  I know you won't fail me.

Sincerely,

A frustrated, tired, and trapped mama