Thursday, March 10, 2016

Silas: Seven Months

Dear Silas,

My precious boy!  Time truly flies when you have a baby under one year old!  You are growing so fast and changing all the time.  I can hardly keep up!

At your last appointment a couple of weeks ago, you weighed 21.1 lbs., and you were in the 93rd percentile.  You are 29 inches long, putting you in the 99th percentile.  We moved you in your bigger car seat, because you had just about outgrown your infant carrier, which maxed out at 29 inches. Everyone comments all the time about how big you are!

Your smiles are heavenly.  I like that I can look at you from across the room, smile at you, and get a smile in return.  You can be very fussy, and sometimes I have trouble keeping you content when all options have been exhausted (exersaucer, swing, rolling on the floor, blue chair, high chair).  Yet, without fail, holding you and walking with you calms you almost all the time.  Except that it can be exhausting for me!  I must be building muscle in these puny arms of mine!

You are slow to join the solid food bandwagon.  I have tried putting small bits of things on your high chair (like banana), and that usually gets us no where, and even when I try to spoon food, you just are not interested.  I have trouble getting you to open up for even a little bit.  I don't want to force food down your throat, and since you still seem content and you are clearly gaining weight... well, I guess we'll just wait it out!  (But, I will keep trying, too.)

We are currently trying to get you to sleep through the night, and we have left you alone in our bedroom so we can get you to do that.  I still hear you on the monitor, waking up here and there, sometimes for longer periods than others, but I try to stay away, at least until 4 or so.  I need to push you a bit, since your wake ups were getting out of hand and were a bit crazy.  I don't like hearing you cry, but I know it has to be done, and in the end, it will be better for us both.  Let's hope it won't take you too much longer to sleep through the night, without waking up!  Caleb learned this lesson much more quickly than you, though you are definitely a better napper than he was at this age.

You love to watch Caleb, and you giggle at his antics.  It is fun to see!  He is affectionate with you, but sometimes rough, too, so he receives our admonition from time to time.  I can't wait to see you and him play together as you get older!

One tooth is making its way in, and I'm sure more are soon to come!  You are great at rolling on the floor, and you are getting more and more interested in grabbing things.  I have to be careful if I am holding you when I am eating!

You add so much to our house, and now that you are here, I can hardly remember what it was like to have only one child.  You fill our lives with smiles and giggles, love and light.  Holding you cheek to cheek is still one of my favorite things in the whole world.

My darling boy, I write these little notes as little updates, but also so you can go back and read them some day when you are older.  I want you to know how much I have always loved you.  I hope you will be blessed by this.

I'll be here, every day, watching you grow.  I love you so much!

Love,
Your mama

Updated to add:  This little boy pulls his socks off ALL DAY LONG!  I'll be grateful when the summer comes, so I don't have to keep putting them back on!  I always tell him there is a consequence to his actions.  His toes get kissed every time.  He can't say I didn't warn him!