Saturday, May 14, 2016

Caleb: 3 Years

Dear Caleb,

How is our boy three years old today?  Daddy and I can scarcely believe it!

We love you through and through.  Sure, we are facing our trials right now.  Yes, you have some developmental delays.  But when push comes to shove, we love you.  We would never trade you, give you up, or let you go.  You are ours.  You belong to us.

Three years ago today,  we were holding you in our arms for the very first time.  When my midwife passed you to me, you looked into my eyes and I into yours.  I will never forget that moment for as long as I live- the moment I saw my firstborn son for the very first time.

These days, your giraffe and lion are your favorite toys.  Woe to us if we leave the house without "Giraffe"!  You like playing with your fire truck, too.  It takes you a while to warm up to new toys, and all your new birthday toys will likely take their time worming their way into your heart.

You love your daddy, and you immediately monopolize him when he comes home from work.  Now that the weather is finally getting warmer, you love to run around the yard with Daddy, and climbing up "the mountain".  I look at you and wonder where in the world my baby went, because all I see now is a big boy.

You are beginning to show more signs of independence, which is a good thing!  You are getting better at feeding yourself with a fork, and can do it without us, finally.  A spoon is another thing, and you usually continue to expect us to feed you with a spoon.  You have your delays, yes, but you will catch up!

Silas loves you, and you love him, but you are a bit rough with him, my little man!  I often have to take the roll of bodyguard to protect Silas.  It is my hope and prayer that you'll be best friends one day, and not merely brothers.

You have a wonderful memory!  I am amazed at how much you remember.  You are learning new words all the time, and often, we just have to say a word once, and you remember it.  I have no doubt that hidden beneath these developmental delays is a very smart, very intelligent boy.

This summer, you'll be starting preschool, two mornings a week, so that you can get help in the areas where you need it.  I have very mixed feelings about this.  Daddy and I are committed to homeschooling you, but we know you need more help at this time.  Daddy will be taking you to preschool and staying there, because no way would we leave you.  As for me, even though Daddy will be there, it is hard letting you go, even in this small way.  I am ALWAYS with you.  I'll be a bit emotional the first morning that you head off.

We love you, our sweet boy!  You delight us, and we can't imagine our home without you in it.

Happy Birthday, our little man!  Can you do me a favor please?  Please slow down and stop growing so fast.

Love,
Your mama