Thursday, August 13, 2020

Anna: 6 Months

This picture was taken at 8:36 a.m., the exact minute she was born 6 months ago, on a Thursday just like today.

I cannot stand how adorable these ruffle sleeves are!  Give me this shirt in my size, please!


 This is our Anna Lynn after her very first solid food!

Our Anna is half a year old already!  Boy, do we love her to pieces!

I gave Anna her first solid food today.  I am planning to do all homemade purees, soups, and even a drink or two until she is ready to chew more things.  Today I gave her some pureed butternut squash mixed with a bit of breast milk.  I'll be adding other things into her vegetable and fruit purees, such as homemade chicken broth from quality pastured chickens, sauerkraut juice, lard, and even homemade yogurt or kefir.

She, of course, made adorable faces when we gave her her first food, and Daddy was there to capture it all on video.  At one point, she grabbed hold of the spoon and even guided it into her mouth (while I still held on, of course).  I consider that a pretty good achievement.  We got two or three spoonfuls in when she seemed to have had enough.

Anna is an expert at rolling over on her right side from back to tummy.  She's able to stay longer on her tummy than she used to, and now I no longer have to "do tummy time" since she does it herself.  Caleb often joins her and plays with her when she's down on the floor.  She gets mad after a time, and that's it, she's done, come get her.  Sometimes she rolls over in the crib, too, and the other morning, she gave me a heart attack, when she fell asleep face down, as in, completely face down with nose to the mattress.  I was right there in the room with her, in and out of sleep myself, and I didn't know!  I saw her, and didn't bother to check for breathing, but rolled her right back over.  Needless to say, I startled the poor baby, and she went from sleeping to crying.  Well, I'd rather have a crying baby than a not-breathing baby!  Boy, these babies love to scare us!

She fits better in 9 month clothes at this point, and her 3-6 month shirts are starting to ride up her torso.  However, I need to stretch these summer clothes out as long as the weather is hot, so she's stuck in her 6 month stuff for now.  I might have to look for some 9 month summer clearance clothes, because I sure don't want to pay a lot for only a bit of wear!  That is the annoying part of baby clothes, for sure!

As I've said before, she's sleeping in our room until the unforeseeable future.  I decided to decorate a bit and hang some of her things in our room, because I was sick of waiting until she had her own room, whenever that may be.  While it can be very hard to share a room with a baby (goodness, one rustle of the sheet and she stirs), it has its good points.  I love waking up to her smile each morning.  She is so bright with wide-eyed wonder, and even if I'm super groggy, just wanting to say good morning to her causes me to start my day with a grin!

We are so thankful for our Anna!