Monday, August 10, 2020

Happy Birthday, Silas! 5 Years

Today's the day we celebrate our Silas!  For sure, there is a lot of hard stuff we're going through with him right now, but we won't talk about those things on this day.  It's his birthday, so we're here to celebrate the good!

Our Silas loves music!  Brian hears him sometimes singing right on pitch, and he responds to songs, especially children singing, so well.  He loves the Cedarmont Kids DVDs (thanks to my sister for getting us started on those), and we got him a new DVD for his birthday.  He often can be heard singing the songs even when they aren't playing, albeit, his vocals and pronunciations are rough around the edges.  

He's come around to Anna quite a bit.  When we first brought her home, he didn't know what to make of her for a time, but he was never mean to her in any way, as sometimes can happen with a new baby.  He makes it a point to greet her in the morning when in her high chair, and he looks to me as he does so, making sure I see him as he acknowledges her.  If she drops a toy, he will pick it up and give it back, but I hold my breath, or run over to help, because he often throws it at her, and I need to soften the blow.  He also helps me move her chair over to the table at breakfast, and he even scoots the floor rocker out of the way so we can do so.

Silas loves the park.  If we drive by a park and we aren't stopping, we must be prepared for tears.  He is always ready to run and play, and he loves the swings and slides.

Routines are important to Silas, and he helps where he can.  When it is time for morning snack, usually a banana if we have them, he gets out the butter knife for me so I can cut it up.  He gets out the cod liver oil at dessert time in the evening, and he takes it without reservation.  He also puts it away, sometimes to my annoyance, if I haven't given Anna hers yet.  :)  But I am glad he is doing these things.

As far as his speech, he is saying more words and phrases.  Mostly, though, he still repeats us, and doesn't speak so much conversationally.  His speech is also still very hard to understand.  That is why we play so much music for him, of children singing and such, because it draws him out as he tries to sing some of those words.

We still pray for his healing.  We continue to see a nutritionist and ZYTO technician who directs us in the supplements his body needs, and we continue to do music therapy as a way of drawing him out. 

Most of all, we know Jesus loves him, and in some of the not-so-great moments, I sing out loud, "I believe He is the Christ, Son of the Living God" (Andrew Peterson song, as quoted from Peter in the Bible).  And you know what?  It not only calms him (most of the time), but he is starting to sing it, too!

Even though I have a baby, he is still a mama's boy, and he tries to get his affection in however he can!  I am grateful he hasn't given up on me yet :)

Silas, we love you, and we pray God's blessing over you.  Numbers 6: 24-26.  Always.


Little guy was tuckered out on his own birthday!

Here's his smile as we finished singing "Happy Birthday" and he knows cupcakes are coming!