Thursday, April 21, 2016

Five Years Ago Today

On a Thursday just like today, five years ago, Brian drove from PA to NJ, stood outside my bedroom window, and surprised me with a song on his saxophone (which was recently stolen).  A short drive later, a walk to a special bench, a brief question in the cool breeze and an even briefer response-- and we were engaged.

Two leap years and now it is back to it being Thursday on the 21st, so it feels really special.  No celebrations for us, unfortunately.  Brian works tonight as he did then, except he called out that night :)  Besides, do people really celebrate the anniversary of their engagement?

It is nice enough just recognizing it.  So much has changed.  Two months after that engagement, I finished up my teaching job that I had for five years, and I have never worked a day since.  (Yeah, right.  I work harder as a stay-at-home mom than all the jobs I had before combined.)

I moved first into Brian's bachelor pad (talk about roughing it!), then to the woods where we live now.  I've had to get used to bears lurking in the yard, yes, even in the daylight, about eight deer coming into the yard at once, mice scurrying in my living quarters, and living away from normal stores and civilization as I once knew it.

We've bought a house, had our first baby, purchased a cat (I still RUE the day!), got a new (used) car, and had our second baby.

Five years.  So much change.  I've changed, too, in many, many ways.

Only God knows what the future holds.  We need a bigger car.  We talk someday of a bigger house. Whether God will knit together another life in my womb is something only He knows.  We aren't looking for it.  We aren't trying for it.  We are only being open vessels if He should want that for us, in His time.  Honestly, I have zero desire to be pregnant again, and even less desire to give birth again.  And don't even talk to me about baby sleep.  I'm still waiting for the first night I can sleep through 'til morning.

That day, five years ago today, was the start of it all.  I'm excited to see what God will still do.

Thanks for reading and joining us on our journey!