Thursday, June 23, 2016

Sleep Regression X 2

So, this is one of those posts where I will begin by asking for your prayers.

No, we don't need a life-threatening illness cured.  Brian hasn't lost his job.  We are all well-fed.

We simply need SLEEP.

Both Silas and Caleb are having sleep issues.

I'll start with Caleb, since his is shorter to explain.  Two nights ago, he asked to sleep in the crib.  As you know, Silas is still in the pack 'n play in our room, and there isn't enough room to put the crib in our room, or it would be smack up against the window.  Caleb has been sleeping in his "big boy bed" since March, but he wanted to sleep in his crib.

After Daddy firmly told him "no" and put him back to bed, he heard Caleb running around.  He opened the door to find Caleb throwing his stuffed animals (that he sleeps with) into the crib.  Daddy said, "Get back to your bed."  Caleb ran across the room, threw himself in his bed, and accidentally slammed his head against the wall.  Daddy comforted him and tucked him back in.

Later, as I always check in on Caleb before I go to sleep, I found Caleb asleep on the floor, legs under his toddler bed, crammed next to the night table.  Was he trying to make his own "crib"?  I got Brian, who is stronger than I, and he scooped Caleb up and put him back in bed, waking him a bit on the way.

Last night, Caleb cried when he asked to sleep in his crib and we told him no, and at nap time today he wanted to sleep in the crib.

????

We tried to explain that he doesn't want that, that he would be trapped in there, and that is no fun. 

I guess we'll have to ride this out.  It has also been taking him longer to settle at night.  I am hoping this summer we'll tire him out with all the activities we have planned.

Now, let's discuss Silas.

Gee, where to begin?

I have read that there is a sleep regression common in 8-10 month olds that occurs due to new motor skills.  Silas just learned to stand up, so look out.  His sleep has all but fallen apart.

He no longer wants to nap.  I put him in his pack 'n play, and as soon as I lay him down, he sits up.  He plays for a bit, then cries, and cries, and cries.  He either sits or stands, but he will not lay down and he will not sleep.  I have tried coming in to lay him back down, but it does not work, and he is back up again in seconds.

Yesterday, he had one brief half hour nap and was up at 9:30.  He did not nap the rest of the day.  I put him to bed at 6, since he was EXHAUSTED, and he woke up at 8:15 p.m..  This is not a normal night waking time for him, but I believe he woke up because he is so overtired, and when babies are overtired, they actually don't sleep well at all.  He cried for 2 hours!  I did try laying him down, twice, to no avail.  I was shaking because I was so weary of hearing him cry. 

He woke again at 2:54.  I have been reading up on baby sleep like I am studying for a final exam, and though I don't like it, best thing to do is cry-it-out.  He has got to learn to lie down and settle himself.  So, I let him cry.  I went in at 4:45 after much internal debate, but since it was Brian's last day at work (except for graduation where he conducts the band), I decided I better deal with it early, since I have both boys to deal with by myself.  I came in the room to find Silas standing up, staring at the door, and he had no pants on!  How in the world did he manage to take his pants off?  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I scooped him up and took him to bed with me, and we both collapsed in exhaustion until about 6:30, when I had no choice to get up and get Caleb.

Silas's sleep was not great before.  He always woke in the wee hours, but not at 8:15.  And he always napped, even if it was short.  Now that he is so excited to be sitting and standing, it is all he wants to do.

I am so sleep-deprived that I have lots of headaches, and on Monday it was so bad, I felt sick. 

I'm not sure what else to do.  If I look like a crazed lunatic, at least I have an excuse!