Monday, October 13, 2014

Pumpkin Picking

Since Brian was off today, and being that he works many Saturdays and we don't normally get the chance to do something fun, we decided to seize the moment and take Caleb to the pumpkin patch.

Orchestrating this venture was a bit hectic, as Monday is my regular grocery shopping day, so we decided to do the shopping very early, before Caleb's first nap.  As I predicted, Caleb wouldn't sleep when we got home, because it was not his usual routine to go out before his first nap.  (If you change one thing in Caleb's normal routine, this may result in a failure to sleep at nap time.  Now you know why I am pulling all of my hair out.)  Brian also had to bring in Pocono for an echocardiogram to find out what is going on with Pocono's heart.

After the shopping was done, and after Pocono was left at the vet's, and after Caleb didn't take his first nap, we finally ventured out.  It was a bit of a drive as it was over in Jersey, but the farm didn't disappoint.  We paid for a hay ride which brought us to the pumpkin patch, and it was the first hay ride for both Caleb and me.  (No, I had never been on a hay ride.  Perhaps they had them back home, but if they did, I never knew about them.)  I let Brian hold Caleb throughout the ride, thinking that if the tractor toppled over, better to be in Brian's stronger arms than mine.  At some points, I also found myself leaning on Brian for support.  Those non-existent walls of the open hay ride left me a bit jittery, I'll admit.

When we arrived at the pumpkin patch, we put Caleb down, and he fussed for the first moment, but then, just as quickly, he was off!  He was immediately excited, trying to grab at and pick up the pumpkins, and he was able to pick up some good sized ones!  He toppled over and I righted him, but before I could catch him, he toppled over again, this time planting his face right into the stem of a pumpkin.  He cried and clung to me for a bit, but then, he shook it off and was ready for more.  Our boy ran as fast as those legs could take him, and it was a lot of falling, and for us, chasing, but it was a true joy to watch him have so much fun!

There was a fifteen-month old girl there, and Caleb kept trying to walk over to her, staring at her all the while.  It was so cute!  When the driver came back for us and Brian picked up Caleb, he fussed because he didn't want to go!  It was so neat to see him have a new adventure.








I wish I could have gotten some better photos, but it was so hard to take them because he wouldn't stay still.  We were spending a better part of the time trying to keep up with him, or grabbing onto his hood to keep him from falling!  I'm not sure how those little legs can move so fast, but they do!