Monday, October 20, 2014

The Great Naptime Shift

The time has come, folks.

I can't avoid it any longer.

I have begun the work of transitioning Caleb to one nap.  (Cue audience gasping, sighing, and perhaps, some loud crying.)

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, then you'd know that baby sleep has not been the easiest part of parenthood for me.  Believe me, every step of the way I have always compared notes with my sister, mother of four, and none of her kids, even her most difficult (Lindsey), was as difficult as Caleb.  (And for some odd reason, Lindsey, out of all of her kids, loves Caleb the most, I think.  Perhaps they are kindred spirits.)

For a while, Caleb had been solidly taking two naps a day, going down without a fuss, and sleeping a good length of time.  When Brian went back to work, the difficulties began, and I at first attributed it to missing Daddy.  (Perhaps that was indeed a part of it.)

He started to take shorter morning naps, or he'd have trouble settling, and take a half hour of sitting in the crib before he'd fall asleep.  Then, if he slept later than usual due to having trouble getting to sleep, I'd be in hot water for the second nap... it's time getting later and later, closer to his dinner time.

Some days were good, which made me think we hit a bump in the road and got past it, but then it started up again.

I had a few rough days when I was trying to keep him up until 11:30, but he just couldn't make it, and inevitably he fell asleep nursing, totally exhausted.  How in the world do mothers do this, I wondered?

I began researching the nap transition, and I found some helpful information.  It said to settle on a nap time to start with, and keep pushing it back fifteen minutes every few days, so that they can ease into staying up longer.  In the meantime, an earlier bedtime might be needed, because there would be a large gap between the nap and bedtime.  Eventually, you'll arrive at the new nap time, and the bedtime can be pushed back once again.

So I tried it today.  My goal was to get him down at 10:30, because from what I've seen, he can make it at least that far.  It was tricky because we had to go grocery shopping.  Normally we go after his first nap, but today we went early, so we'd be home in time to wind him down to nap at 10:30.  The stinker began falling asleep on the car ride home (it is only a ten minute ride), and I kept trying to pat him from the front seat.  He managed to sneak in a minute or two of a nap, despite my best efforts.

I settled him in the crib at 10:25, and he fussed on and off until 10:45, and then he conked out.  He slept until 12:09.  From what I've read, it takes them some time before they start to sleep for two-and-a-half to three hours.

For tonight, we'll put him down to bed much earlier, perhaps 6 as opposed to 7, since he wouldn't be able to take another nap at this point.

As for me, it is hard to know when I'm going out!  I have a doctor appointment scheduled for next week that I may have to cancel altogether since this is such unknown territory.  I am looking forward to the day when we are settled once again with a routine I can count on, so I know what to expect and how to plan my day, with Caleb getting the proper rest that he needs.

Lord, please help us through this!