Monday, May 18, 2015

Caleb's Birthday Party

May is a tough month around here.  Brian is super busy.  The week before Caleb's birthday, his kids had their annual solo festival, so Brian had a late Friday night in which he didn't get home until 10:30 or so.  (And for me, that means I go to bed late, because I cannot go to bed until I know he is home safely.)  Tomorrow night, he has his spring concert.  Every other May, he has his annual band festival where his entire band is judged, but this year he has that in June.

While it certainly isn't an afterthought, it can be tough throwing Caleb's party because Brian is running from one thing to the next, and he's run down himself.  (Let's not forget his second job.)  It isn't much better with me, because I just found out at my prenatal appointment on Friday that I am borderline anemic, which explains why I feel as though I have been sleepwalking lately.  (An emergency order from my vitamin company for iron was in order.  I am hoping to get it this week.)

Thankfully, it worked out to have Caleb's party this past weekend, two days after his birthday.  Brian had to be sure to take off from his Saturday job, and my parents headed up early Saturday morning, and I was more than grateful for my mom's help in getting everything set up for the party.  (My mom is a workhorse and I don't know what I'd do without her.)

Nobody lives close, and the closest party attenders were Matt and Kristen, Brian's best friend and his wife, who are two hours away.  Brian's parents and sister are something like two-and-a-half hours, depending on what route is taken.  My parents are three hours with the route they take.  (We try to take a faster route when we travel.)

We really appreciate it when everyone comes out, simply because it isn't a quick trip for anyone.  I don't know how this will work next year when Baby #2 has their first birthday.  I'm sure attendance will go down being that there would be two trips to make.

But for now, it was Caleb's day.  Like last year, he slept later than usual during his nap, so he was late for his own party.  I had to go and wake him, and then he didn't want to get out of his crib.  He was shy at first, because, after all, he had just woken up, but he doesn't have the fear of strangers that he used to.  He got right in there and played with his cousins Lauren and Ethan, and that was fun to see.

I made him chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting, because he likes chocolate, and I don't think he would have gone for vanilla cake.  He devoured his cupcake and wanted more, but sorry, bud, you only get one.  I satisfied his desire with a little ice cream. :)

It was fun to celebrate the wonderful life of our big two-year-old!  I can't believe he's getting so big, and I would be so weepy about it all if not for getting ready to have my arms filled with another newborn in less than three months.

The following photos were all taken by Kristen, who is not only a talented photographer, but she also has a good camera.  To be honest, I haven't even uploaded the photos from my phone yet, because most are probably blurry, hazy, or just altogether "blah".













I am so thankful for this little boy!  I love him to pieces, and I can't believe how fast the time is flying!  Here's to many more birthdays, my little man!