Sunday, May 10, 2015

Third Trimester and Second Mother's Day

Today, I took the first steps into my third trimester.  They were tentative steps at best, given how tired I have been, due to A) this ridiculous May heat B) lack of sleep and C) a killer headache that lasted over 24 hours (and for which I cannot take any type of pain meds).

But, as I said in my last post, ready or not, here I come!


This photo was a bit backlit, so we took another.  Photographers, Brian and I are not.


If you are thinking, "Whoa, she is huge!", I feel exactly the same way!  I keep looking at my belly, wondering where in the world the rest of it will go.  I am definitely bigger at this time than I was with Caleb, and he was 8 lbs. 12 oz.!  Good grief!  I was really hoping for a lighter baby, because he was not easy to push out!

Let's just say I am dreading the rest of the summer, because if it is this hot now, imagine how it will be in August when I am even more enormous.  The cold winter we just endured is looking better and better.


I celebrated my second official Mother's Day today, but my third if you count my first "unofficial" Mother's Day, as Caleb came two days after.  Brian gave me a beautiful flat of begonias which we have put on the deck, and I can enjoy looking at them each day.  He also bought me a box of chocolates, and I received two lovely cards- one from my husband, and the other from Caleb.


To be honest, I really didn't feel like celebrating Mother's Day this year.  I am hard on myself, yes, but I am going through a difficult time in motherhood.  The newness has worn off, and I see all of my shortcomings always before me.  Many days I have labeled myself the "worst" mother in the world. Perhaps that is far from the truth, but I am far from the best.  It is a beautiful holiday, but I have yet to truly feel like it is "mine".  I still have much to learn.

However, I am immensely thankful for my Caleb.  I remember the many Mother's Days in which I wondered if I would ever be a mother.  Now I am more than thankful to have my Caleb and a brand new baby kicking inside of me.  I am grateful.

 (Blurry, yes, are these last two photos!)

Brian took us to Promise Land State Park today, so it was good to get out for a bit and enjoy some time as a family during this crazy busy time of the year for Brian.  We will be glad indeed when he is off for the summer!