Friday, May 29, 2015

Last Trip For Awhile

After missing out on traveling this past holiday season (Thanksgiving- major snow, Christmas- morning sickness), we were beyond overdue to see our families.  We had planned to see my family first (since we had been due there on Thanksgiving), and we did so in March, so up next was Brian's family, whom we were supposed to see at Christmas.

Brian's last days off for the school year were the long Memorial Day weekend.  We knew he'd be too busy to go anywhere in June, and I'm sorry, once July hits, this big belly and I are not going ANYWHERE.  (And, it is not recommended to travel in the last month of pregnancy anyway.)

I'll be honest.  I don't like traveling much anymore now that I have a little one- only to get harder with another little one to come.  It's not that Caleb didn't do well.  He did great!  It's all the packing every little thing he could possibly miss as well as all the things that are a part of his routine, and just doing things differently than I normally do at home. Routines are awkward when done anywhere other than in our own house- like bedtime routines, for example.  This was true both at my parents' and Brian's parents'.

Of course, it is always expected that we are the ones that travel, given that we are the odd ones out on both sides.  Brian's grandmother was already asking when we'd be up again, and frankly, I can't think about anything beyond this summer and giving birth to our next child.  (However, I understand how much she loves her Brian.)

Last Saturday we headed out.  Caleb slept in the car for about forty minutes with a brief waking time in there, and it made for a LOOOONG afternoon for him, since he was up by 11:40, and I don't even normally put him down until noon.  He was as good as gold in the car.  I sit in the back with him, which is not fun, because the car seat leaves me with very little room, but it is easier to sit next to him and give him lunch/snacks, than to twist from the front seat.  (Of course, this option will be no more when we have two car seats in the back.)

Later in the day, we let Caleb run around Brian's parents' yard, and he had so much fun exploring and seeing where his little legs would take him.  He decided he wanted to check out the neighbors' party, and that scares me, because I don't want this little boy thinking he can just walk off anywhere he wants.  We have some teaching to do!

He went right to sleep that night and slept until just about 7, which is unheard of for him (normally up just after 5), no doubt due to the short, early nap, combined with all the running in the yard.  I checked on him to make sure he was still breathing, so uncharacteristic this is!  I went back to bed, but struggled with some terrible dizziness- even in bed- the room was spinning.  I'm sure this had something to do with pregnancy because I had it once or twice last pregnancy, but it was worse this time.  I thought I would vomit and had Brian get me a plastic bag, but thankfully, things remained put.  It took me a couple of hours to shake off the effects of the dizziness.

Caleb had some serious digestive issues as he had just finished up an antibiotic two days before traveling, and the after-effects were upon us full force.  Poor little guy.  Poor me, too!  It was not fun to change those diapers!  (When we got him home, I put him on a probiotic, and he got better in a couple of days.)

After his nap that day, we went to see Brian's grandma, who is now in a nursing home.  Brian is just about the cutest man on earth, because he loves his grandmother so much.  I really like her, too. She's a little rough around the edges, but I see more beneath that.  She was the first person in Brian's family I ever met, so I have an extra soft spot for her.  Though her vision isn't the greatest, she got to see Caleb, and of course, she loved to spend some time with Brian.  At 95 years old, only our Lord knows how much longer she'll be with us, and I'm glad we got to see her.

We went to see Brian's sister after this, but since it was getting late, we couldn't spend a great deal of time there.  I think Lauren and Ethan were disappointed, which I felt bad about, but I am a stickler for Caleb's bedtime, at least at this young age.  I'm sure I come across as very uptight and someone similar to Captain von Trapp, but I believe sleep is very important to little ones.  Caleb had fun seeing his cousins, and they loved seeing him.  Lauren loved taking his hand and leading him around, and Ethan wanted to show him the games.  It's really too bad we don't live near either side of the family, because Caleb would have instant playmates at his disposal.  (Thank goodness there is a sibling coming!)

We got back to Brian's parents' with about a half hour to spare before Caleb's routine began, which is just enough, I think.  I'm the same way at home.  I never bring Caleb home and straight to bed.  I always try to give him time to unwind in his environment first, and then we can begin the routine.  It always works, so I don't want to mess with what works.

He was out again, quickly, but he was back to being up early the next day!

That was about the extent of our trip.  We only do two nights away, because, frankly, that's all I really want to do.  (Again, this is the same for either side of the family.  I was uncomfortable at my mom's townhouse- where I used to live!  Especially being pregnant.)  There is nothing in the world like your own bed.

Caleb, surprisingly, did not fall asleep on the way home- at all!  He was extremely wound up.  I was actually annoyed, because I knew that I'd have to spend time reading stories and going through his nap time routine, and frankly, I was worn out from travel (not to mention the anemia I am battling) and didn't feel like it!  But that's life as a mommy!  I put him down at 1:00 instead of 12, and he slept until I woke him up at 2:45.

It was good to see Brian's family and for them to spend some time with Caleb.  The next time I am leaving this house overnight is my trip to the hospital!


Really, I am desperate for a new camera.  Cell phone pictures are just not the best.  Here is Brian climbing the tree in his old backyard.  


Another blurry photo.  Here are the three of us with Brian's grandma.  


And just Brian and Caleb with Grandma.


Aunt Jenn with Caleb.


Lauren and Ethan with Caleb, being pulled by Uncle Chris's tractor.

Please forgive these photos.  We are definitely planning to get a new camera before the baby is born!