Tuesday, June 30, 2015

35 Weeks


This past Sunday, I hit the 35 week mark, and it feels strange.  Once this milestone comes, it seems like it could happen any time, and that feeling that you never know when sort of looms over your every thought and decision.

Of course, I don't want Baby to come yet.  For health reasons, you want them in there as close to your due date as possible.  Babies are considered full-term at 37 weeks.  I would have been happy for Caleb to have come early (but beyond 37 weeks!) because I was so excited to meet my baby, but since things are different this time around, I will be happy if #2 stays snug and safe inside of me, until my mother is here and ready for overnight duty with Caleb.

My midwife was trying to help me devise a plan if I should go into labor a bit early.  Such things as bring Caleb with us to the hospital and let him sleep in the corner of the room, until, perhaps, someone can come get him.  (She seemed to think I'd go into labor when my mom was on the way up here.)  Ummmmm.... I know my baby, and he will not sleep without proper routines/structures in place, unless he falls asleep in the car.  Secondly, no way do I want him witnessing me yelling through the labor pains.  Way to scar him for life!  Not to mention, poor Daddy would be on Caleb and Mommy-in-labor duty, and that is too much for any man to handle.

For the time being, we are attempting to plug away at the long to-do list, which includes cleaning projects and some organizational duties.  As I have said before, my mom will be a great help to me with things I have not finished, such as washing baby things and cleaning the fridge.  My mom usually always cleans something when she comes here, even without asking me first, because she wants to be a help, and she knows it is hard with a little one running about.  When she finally arrives, I might collapse in her arms and weep with relief because I will finally feel like I'm not alone, and we have the help we need to drive off to the hospital and leave Caleb peacefully (hopefully!) behind.  I'm looking forward to having the time to prep my mom on Caleb's routine, because routine and structure are important to him, and I think even more so in the absence of Mommy and Daddy.

I'm feeling enormous these days, but thankfully, I am sleeping pretty well at night, but my appetite has been pretty ravenous lately.  Baby gains a pound each week at this point, and I am feeling it.  My appetite has finally leveled off, but for a few days straight, I felt like I could have eaten three times my weight.  

My mom and sister have faithfully been on the hunt for some baby things I've needed (and no, they don't know the gender), things I need myself (my sister ran out and got me socks when I said I was in need of some new pairs- so sweet!), and even stuff for Caleb.  My mom insisted I have new pjs for the hospital because my old ones are so stretched out they are literally falling off of me, and my sister started a book bin for Caleb, so that I can read to him while I am nursing the baby and he hopefully won't feel so left out.

We've started receiving a few gifts here and there, and while I was already given a million blankets with Caleb, I have begun receiving more.  Honestly, I don't know what to do with them all, because Caleb didn't even use half of his.  I might have to start donating them to the church clothing bin across the street from us.  I hate to do that, because I remember who gave each and every one, but no baby needs this many blankets, plus it is the summer.  By the time it will be colder, Baby will already be rolling over and kicking blankets off anyway.  (I don't even think Caleb used the blanket I myself had made for him!)  For whatever reason, it seems to be the most popular gift item.

Our church is throwing us a small shower and barbecue at a charming little park near us, and that is beyond nice of them, especially for a second baby.

I have not cooked any meals to put into the freezer for later, because honestly, I really don't like frozen food that has been reheated.  It just grosses me out.  I always taste "freezer" no matter how well it is wrapped.  I really have no plans at all as to how we will eat after the baby is born.  Brian can't cook at all (I love you, honey), so I guess we will play it by ear when the time comes.  I hope the initial exhaustion period won't last too long!

For now, we are concentrating on our to-do list, which includes fixing up both of our cars, and I still need to purchase a camera before this baby gets here!  

Please keep us in your prayers as we attempt to work hard around here, as well as provide some fun for Caleb this summer.  (If only the weather would cooperate.  Has it been raining dreadfully by all of you?)