Friday, June 26, 2015

Stuck On the Road, Again

Do you know anyone who gets stranded on the side of the road more than us?

I didn't think so.

At the start of Brian's vacation today, we found ourselves stuck on the route outside our development, with no shoulder space, coming out of a curve, with a flat tire.

I immediately called Geico, who at first said they could send someone in three hours, "Say, what?", then upped it to ninety minutes.  We informed them that we would need a tow and that there were three of us, including a toddler, and they informed us they would not have room for all three of us.

Meanwhile, I called a lovely lady named Fran, whom I just had the pleasure of meeting today for the first time, whom I'm perfectly willing now to call my new best friend.  She is the mother of a private horn student of Brian's, and he goes to their house each week for lessons.  Fran and I text each other back and forth to arrange said lessons, but I had never met her face to face.  She is always so sweet, though, and has offered on occasion to go out and get something from the store for us, for example, on those freezing cold days in the middle of winter.

She doesn't live far, and she always seems so eager in her texts to help, that I thought of her immediately.  I called her and asked if she would/could come and rescue Caleb and me while Brian stayed with our car.  She said by all means she would, just as soon as she dropped her daughter off at her job.

And so our rescuer came.  We decided it would be way too much work to try to transfer the car seat to her car on a road with no shoulder, and it would be less dangerous for me to hold Caleb in my lap for the five minute drive back to our house, in the back seat of her car.  I had to stretch that seat belt quite a bit as I had to pull it not only over me and Caleb, but my baby bump, too!

She brought us home, lamenting all the while over the state of her car (a little bit messy), and I was lamenting over the fact that she'd see our house for the first time with completely unmowed lawn (our lawnmower broke and we had to buy new and only just received it), and the fact that my entryway stairs were unvacuumed.  She waited while I put together a quick lunch for Brian, not knowing how long he'd be stuck on the road, and she was going to bring it back to him.

Fran was like an angel today.  Brian was so relieved to get Caleb and me off the road, and I was relieved knowing she was bringing him food and water, though I still continued to worry about his safety around the bend of that road.

Thankfully, Brian arrived home over two hours later, with a doughnut tire on, and an appointment made for next week.  (Meanwhile, we still need major repair on my car, and he still has a safety recall on his car to take care of.)

When it rains, it pours.  Everything for us that could break, is doing so.  And I mean everything.

However, I am grateful, beyond grateful, that my Brian got back home to me safely, and I am so grateful that a new friend came to rescue me.  Thank you, Lord!