Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Day By Day

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He Whose Name is Counselor and Pow’r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.

I woke up this morning with the melody of this hymn in my head, and only the words, "and with each passing moment".  I couldn't remember anything else, as it hadn't been a hymn I was very familiar with.  But it was haunting me.  What are these words trying to run around in my head, I wondered?  I turned to Brian with those five words, and as best I could, gave him the melody, and while he didn't know all the words, pointed me to the hymn "Day By Day".  I wouldn't rest until I had googled it and devoured every word.  Immediate comfort and peace began to sweep over me.  I then e-mailed the entire hymn to Brian at work, where I knew he would need to read it this day.  

Life hasn't been easy for Brian and me this year.  We've had lots of unforeseen expenses come up.  It seems like everything goes or needs repair at once, from the big things, like the water heater, all the way down to the little things, like my camera.  While we already live frugally, it seems that we've had to do so even more.  

Caleb is in a very particularly challenging stage, and while I love him to the ends of the moon and beyond, the battles I have with him each day threaten to suck the joy right out of motherhood.  I told Brian, "I am so glad you are here with me this summer, because I cannot deal with this boy all on my own.  I need you."  Truly, I am much more confident with Brian by my side.

Of course, we are excited about our new baby, but nervous about the timing of labor, and of course labor itself!  Yikes, who looks forward to that pain?  And then I worry about caring for two children.

Then, just yesterday Brian got some good news at work, that quickly turned sour, and while that is way too complicated to explain here, let's just say that it is a trial that he has to face.

When I woke  up with the melody of this hymn trying to find its way into my head, I knew the Lord wanted me to focus on these words.  I feel His comfort and His presence, knowing that day by day, He gives what we can bear.  Even the pesky issue of labor and when it will all happen, I have to trust that it will work out.  God will see us through.

I hope these words encourage you today.  I know I'm going to be rereading them over and over, and I just might make Brian sing it to me later.