Friday, August 29, 2014

All Good Things...

It's strange, but I've been approaching the end of the summer with an unusual dread.  As Brian had his first day of in-service yesterday, I found myself emotional (not unusual) and apprehensive.  I was almost looking at the start of the school year as a goodbye of sorts... as in, "life won't slow down until next summer.... I love you, honey... see you again next year".

Silly, I know.  After all, my husband comes home to me at the end of every day.  He's just so BUSY during the school year.  I, too, was a teacher.  My work was the grading kind.  I had stacks of essays to read, and I attacked my work with a vengeance.  I always said to my mom, "Thank goodness I'm single, because I would have one neglected husband if I had to do this kind of work while married."

Brian doesn't have the grading that I had.  He does have some, for his Music Theory class.  His work, rather, is tons of different musical events throughout the year.  That's where it hurts the most.  And since we don't live in the same county, or even the same state, some of these events are a frustratingly long distance away.  Many take place in the evenings, or even on the weekends.  He is hit right away with one event, that has multiple rehearsals, in September.

I'm not sure why it is hitting me so hard THIS year.  After all, this is our third married summer together.  I think it is just due to the fact that we really tried hard to enjoy it.  And we did.  We did so many fun things with our boy, that the arrival of the end of the summer is like a waving goodbye to a loved one at the airport.  It felt so good to be together.  Other than Brian's second job, the three of us were just about inseparable.  It was wonderful.

After much prayer and debating the issue, Brian decided to only work one night a week, as opposed to two, at his second job, and maybe every other Saturday.  He has been working two nights a week since we've been married, and since we have a child, it has gotten harder.  On the nights that Brian works, he will only see Caleb maybe five minutes in the morning, if at all, depending on how long he sleeps.  It's been weighing heavily on his mind that he doesn't want to miss our boy two days in a row.

As for me, I have always hated to see my husband work so hard.  To go from one job to the next with no break and no dinner, and not arrive at home until the late evening is tough.  If I had to attend, plan, and arrange all of the musical events for his students, my head would spin.

We're hopeful that having one less night away will bring about positive changes and less stress for all.  It'll still be busy and crazy, but it'll cause things to slow down, just a little bit.

So, here's to you, Fall.  Bring on the crisp autumn air, the crunchy leaves, and by all means, bring on the ankle boots and cozy sweaters.  I always prefer fall/winter apparel over spring/summer anyway.

I'll leave for you the e-mail that Caleb sent to his daddy on his first day back to work:

Dear Daddy,

It sure is lonely around here.  Mommy and I miss you so much. 

Mommy and I went down the street today to our regular grocery store and the store right next to it.  I think Mommy wanted to get back into the practice of taking me out without your help.  We had a good time out together.

She's already had to put me in the pack 'n play a few times when she's needed to go downstairs, and I fussed, but she was back real fast.  I'll probably still fuss the next time she does it, because that's just what I do.

I had cheese, a chicken nugget, and some watermelon for lunch.  I especially loved the watermelon.

How is your day, Daddy?  Do you miss me?  I hope you are thinking about me, because I'm thinking about you LOTS!

I love you.

Love,
Caleb-Bear