Saturday, August 2, 2014

These Precious Days


How I love this boy!  Sometimes I think my heart will absolutely burst because it cannot hold one more speck of love for this little guy.  And yet, more still crams its way in.

Caleb is getting to such a fun age.  He's full of life and love.  One of my favorite things to do with him is lay my head down on the couch and wait for him to come to me.  I discovered this one day, when through sheer exhaustion, I laid down on the couch, and he wouldn't leave me alone.  I guess he was surprised to see Mommy laying down during the day.  After all, I'm usually bustling about trying to get things done.  Now I do it just for fun.  I lay my head down and he comes over, all giggles.  He either hits me in the face (sometimes it's hard- but he doesn't intend to be mean), pulls my hair, or my favorite... he gives me his version of a kiss.  He leans in really close and puts his mouth on my cheek.  I savor EVERY. SINGLE. MOMENT.

Caleb often hangs around me when I'm working in the kitchen.  I smile to myself at times, because as I am naturally moving about, I notice that he follows.  If I'm at the stove, he's there.  Then I move to the sink, and he's coming, too.  I am constantly tripping over him/trying to avoid stepping on him.  Sometimes I even have to fight for space as he comes in and starts to push my legs out of the way!  He is too, too funny!

We play a game together where I run across the room while carrying him, and he touches the window, and then we run to the other side and he touches the sliding glass door.  He loves it!  He now knows what to do when I say, "Touch the glass" because he will do it when I tell him to, even when not playing the actual game.  He knows how to shut the dishwasher for me, and he loves to be my little helper.  I always give him tons of praise for his good deed.

As a family, often in the evenings, we put on fun, fast-paced classical music, and Brian, with Caleb on his shoulders, chases me around the table.  At the very end, I pretend to "get caught" and I turn and give Caleb a big kiss.  He is all giggles, absolutely loving the fun we have together.

The best is when he laughs for no reason at all, as far as I can see, or over some secret that only Caleb knows.  He'll start giggling; I'll look up and find him watching me, waiting for me to share in the chuckle.  I happily oblige.  After all, it doesn't matter why.

I love our little family.  I adore seeing my husband as a father.  He's such a good one:  so kind, patient, encouraging, gentle, and loving toward our little boy.

Though I know I can't- none of us can- I try to hold onto these precious days.  I try to savor them, just as one savors that last bite of chocolate cake or apple pie.  I try to picture the future, knowing that some day, a long way from today, I'll attempt to remember that adorable face with the big blue eyes looking back at me.  When he leaves home for college, I'll remember bringing him home from the hospital.  And when he is looking at his bride walk down the aisle, I'll be looking at him (no doubt through the trickle of tears), remembering all the years we had together.

They're going to be great years.  I'm so excited at the thought of homeschooling my boy, to teach him so much more than just what is inside a textbook.  I plan to teach his heart, not just his head.

I can scarcely believe how fast this past year has gone, and I shudder to think the next seventeen will tumble away as fast as the autumn leaves during a strong breeze.  I've got to make them count.

Because he's so worth it.